You’ll only use 3 or 4 tablespoons of vanilla sugar for this recipe, but the remaining sugar will keep indefinitely in an airtight container in your cupboard, so you’ll always have some on hand.
- 12 black or red plums
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Halve plums and remove pits. Place cut side up in baking dish.
- Split vanila bean in half and scrape the seeds from inside by running a sharp knife from one end to the other.
- Blend vanilla seeds and sugar together in a food processor.
- Lightly sprinkle plums with an even layer of vanilla sugar and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine. To subscribe, click here.