Let the family join in as you roll, cut and bake these delectable cookies. A simple icing tops these pretty little trees, but don’t hesitate to add sparkling sugar for a snow kissed look.
Makes 40 2 1/2-inch cookies
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens
- 2 1/2 cups Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below) or Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 5/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) palm oil shortening or vegetable shortening (may contain soy), cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsulphured molasses
- 1 1/3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- decorating, sanding or coarse sugar (optional)
Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend
Makes 6 cups of flour blend.
Free of: gluten and all top allergens.
- 4 cups (950 mL) brown rice flour*
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) tapioca flour or starch
- 1 1/3 cups (320 mL) potato starch
- Mix until all ingredients are well-distributed. Then store in an airtight container.
When measuring flours and starches scoop into the measuring cups then level off with the back of a knife. Do not use the measuring cup to scoop.
For best results: Use Authentic Foods Superfine Brown Rice Flour or Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour (which is also quite fine). However, the Bob’s product does carry a tree nut “may contain” warning. If using another brown rice flour instead, place in a spice grinder or food processor and blend for 1 minute to get the find grind needed for these recipes.
Next: The Cookie Method