By Cybele Pascal
Rich, decadent and flavorful, this dessert takes dairy-free indulgence to a whole new level.
Makes 16 squares
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens
Chocolate Layer Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) + 4 tbsp plain dairy-free milk alternative (such as rice), divided
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered egg replacer (such as Ener-G)
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend (recipe follows)
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 5/8 tsp double -acting baking powder
- 5/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) + 2 tbsp warm water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) + 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
Cherry Cheesecake Layer Ingredients
- 2 tbsp plain dairy-free milk alternative (such as rice)
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered egg replacer (Such as Ener-G)
- 4 oz dairy-free, soy-free plain cream cheese alternative (such as Daiya)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil* spread (such as Earth Balance) or shortening (contains soy)
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend (recipe follows)
- 3/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) allergen-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil spread or shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch baking pan with foil, extending ends over sides of pan, and lightly grease.
- For chocolate layer, whisk together 2 tablespoons milk alternative and egg replacer in a small bowl, until frothy.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, whisk together Cybele’s flour blend, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk alternative, warm water, oil, vanilla and egg replacer and beat on medium-low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Transfer batter to foil-lined pan. Bake 25 minutes.
- For cherry cheesecake layer, whisk together milk alternative and egg replacer in a small bowl, until frothy.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese alternative and shortening on medium speed until smooth. Mix in sugar and Cybele’s flour blend. Add egg replacer and vanilla and beat on medium speed until creamy and slightly fluffy.
- When chocolate layer has baked 25 minutes, remove from oven and immediately spoon cheesecake mixture and cherry pie filling over top, alternating heaping tablespoons of each in a checkerboard pattern. Use a spoon to swirl together until marbled, leaving a little chocolate visible around edge of cake.
- Bake 35 minutes, until chocolate layer starts to pull away from pan sides and filling edges are puffed and set. The center will still jiggle slightly.
- Let cool completely on wire rack. Transfer to refrigerator and chill at least 4 hours.
- Grab edges of foil on both sides and lift cake out of pan. Cut into squares, wiping the knife blade clean after each cut. Transfer squares to individual cupcake liners.
- For chocolate drizzle, place chocolate chips and shortening in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave on high 30 seconds. Vigorously stir. If not melted, microwave on high 30 seconds. Vigorously stir until smooth. Drizzle over squares and let stand 5 minutes. Server immediately or store tightly covered in refrigerator up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix
Makes 6 cups
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
- 4 cups superfine brown rice flour (I use Authentic Foods)
- 1 1/3 cup potato starch
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch / flour
- To measure flour and starches, use a large spoon to scoop flour into the measuring cup then level it off with a straightedge. Combine all ingredients in a gallon-size, zipper-top bag. Seal and shake to combine.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
*A Note on Coconut
Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
For many more great recipes, subscribe to Allergic Living magazine.
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe and get the magazine delivered right to your door, click here.