Serve as a wonderful compliment to any burger or sandwich.
Makes 6 servings
Free of: Gluten and top allergens (mustard optional)
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp dry ground mustard*
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups (710 mL) shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded purple cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small apple, julienned
- To make dressing, place vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, pepper and salt in a blender, and puree until emulsified, 1 minute.
- Wash and thoroughly dry shredded green and purple cabbage. Place in a medium bowl. Add carrot and dressing. Stir thoroughly to coat.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours (can be made a day ahead), stirring periodically.
- Just before serving, stir in apple.
*Note: If mustard-allergic, omit or substitute a pinch of xanthan gum.
Alisa Fleming is a contributing editor to Allergic Living magazine and the author of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance and Casein Free Living, and founder of Godairyfree.org
Photography by Chris Gonzaga
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine Fall 2014 issue.