Makes 4-6 servings
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
- 2 tbsp plain dairy-free milk alternative (such as rice)
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered egg replacer (such as Ener-G)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 g) ground beef (85% lean)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) gluten-free, allergen-free bread crumbs or finely crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) copped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ketchup
- Whisk together milk alternative and egg replacer in a small bowl, until frothy.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook onion 2 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan .
- In a large bowl, stir together beef, crumbs, sauce, parsley, salt, pepper, cooked onions and garlic. Whisk egg replacer to reincorporate and add to beef. Use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Form meat mixture into 12 equal-sized balls, a little large than golf balls, and roll until smooth. Place one ball in each muffin cup and liberally brush tops with ketchup.
- Bake 20 minutes, until richly browned. Serve hot.
Single Loaf Option: Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour at 350° F.
For many more great recipes, subscribe to Allergic Living magazine.