This recipe employs several chef secrets to keep your cucumbers crunchy and delicious.
Serves 4 to 6
Free of: Gluten and all top 8 allergens.
- 2 English cucumbers, peel on
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely minced red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground pepper
- Halve cucumbers lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Put into a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss well. Place colander over a large bowl and let the cucumbers drain for 30 minutes, tossing a few times. Transfer cucumbers to paper towels and thoroughly blot dry.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard, zest and a few turns of freshly ground pepper. Drizzle in oil a little at a time while whisking, to emulsify.
- Place drained cucumbers in a large salad bowl and toss with onion and fresh herbs. Add dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
For many more great recipes, subscribe to Allergic Living magazine.