Green vegetables are thought to bring affluence as they share the color of money. To triple the prosperity, they are combine with golden parsnip “coins” and finished with a luxurious sauce.
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 lbs medium to large brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 lbs parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 6 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely minced shallot (about 1 shallot)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Position one rack in the bottom third of oven and a second in the middle. Preheat oven to 450° F. Line 2 large baking pans with aluminum foil.
- Trim any brown ends off sprouts and remove yellowed leaves. Cut each sprout in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, combine sprouts and parsnips with 6 tablespoons of oil, salt and pepper, and toss well to evenly coat. Divide the seasoned vegetables between the prepared pans and spread into a single layer.
- Place a pan on the bottom oven rack and the other on the middle. Roast 15 minutes. Stir vegetables, return to the oven, switching rack positions. Roast 10-15 minutes, until sprouts are crispy and browning and parsnips are turning golden.
- Meantime prepare glaze by heating 1 teaspoon oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 2 minutes, stirring often, until starting to brown. Add vinegar and honey, increase heat to medium-high and cook at a rapid simmer, stirring often, until syrupy and reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a serving bowl, drizzle with glaze and toss to coat. Serve hot.
Contributor Cybele Pascal is the author of three cookbooks, including the new Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking and The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook. Visit her at cybelepascal.com.
For many more great recipes, subscribe to Allergic Living magazine.