By Christina Frantzis
This versatile dish is a great make-ahead option that can be served heated or chilled, on the side or as a main with grilled chicken.
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 3 slices of bacon
- 3 cups (710 mL) cooked tri-color or white quinoa, cooled
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp whole-grain mustard (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add quinoa, beans, bell pepper and green onions to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add lime juice, mustard, chili powder and salt to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking, until emulsified and warm. Crumble cooked bacon and stir into dressing.
- Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir to coat. Gently stir in cilantro and serve warm or refrigerate.