By Colette Martin
Instead of traditional mayonnaise, this flavorful pasta salad is made with a rich flaxseed-based sauce. Make it up to 24 hours in advance and use tri-color or shaped pasta for a dish that both kids and adults with appreciate.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal (Preferably golden)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp finely grated yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp finely grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) canola oil (or neutral-tasting oil of choice)
- 12 oz gluten-free pasta spirals (such as Tinkyada Brown Rice Vegetable Pasta)
- 8 oz (230 g) grilled chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) sliced black olives
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 oz (113 g) grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed and water. Let sit 10 minutes, then whisk to incorporate all water.
- Add flaxseed mixture, lemon juice, yellow onion, garlic, salt and pepper to an immersion blender container. Pulse the blender 4-5 times to combine ingredients. With the blender running, slowly add drops of oil until the mixture starts to become creamy. Continue drizzling in oil until fully incorporated.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Thoroughly drain, but do not rinse. Let cool 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta with prepared creamy sauce. Gently stir in grilled chicken (if using), olives, bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes and parsley to evenly distribute all ingredients. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Colette Martin is the author of The Allergy-Free Pantry: Make Your Own Staples, Snacks, and More without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts and recipe creator at www.learningtoeatallergyfree.com