U.S. Colleges Directory: Comparing Food Allergy & GF Policies–Maryland
For the complete directory of states and colleges, click here.
University of Maryland
- Doctor’s note with medical documentation required for accommodations?
Yes, doctor’s note with medical documentation required for accommodations.
- Paperwork filed with disabilities office required for accommodations?
Yes, if paperwork filed with Disabilities Office, then required for accommodations.
- Food allergy fair or similar event at start of year?
- Dietitian or dining services staff available for a meeting before applying?
Yes, dietitian or dining services staff is available for a meeting before applying.
- Is ingredient or allergen information onsite/online?
Yes, ingredient and allergen information is available at: m.nutrition.umd.edu
- Dining staff trained regularly on food allergy, celiac disease, cross-contact?
Yes, dining staff is trained regularly on food allergy, celiac, cross-contact.
- Pre-made allergy-friendly meals available?
Yes. For pre-made allergy-friendly meals, students can write a weekly menu that the chef will prepare specially for them.
- Ingredient substitutions available?
- Separate utensils and separate area in kitchen for
food allergy/celiac orders?
Yes, separate utensils and area in the kitchen for allergy/celiac orders.
- All dining halls able to accommodate allergies, gluten-free diet?
- All retail sites able to accommodate allergies, gluten-free diet?
Partial; some retail sites are able to accommodate allergies and gluten free.
- Area on housing form to indicate food allergies/celiac disease?
Yes, housing forms have an area to indicate food allergies/celiac. Summer camp forms have an area to indicate as well.
- Resident Assistants trained on allergic reactions, auto-injector administration?
No, RAs are not trained on allergic reactions or epinephrine administration.
- On-campus residence required in first year?
Yes, on-campus residence is required in first year, with exception of commuters.
- Meal plans required if in on-campus housing?
Yes, required with on-campus housing.
- Possible to group food allergy students as roommates?
The grouping of food allergy students as roommates can be done with residence life director.
- Microwaves/mini-fridge allowed in rooms?
Yes, microwaves/mini-fridge allowed.
- Room with kitchenette available, even if freshman?
In the resident halls, there is a floor kitchenette for all residents to share.