For easy energy on-the-go, these chewy granola-style bars can’t be beat.
Makes: 12 bars
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 1/2 cups (350 mL) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) raw sunflower seed kernels (look for allergy-safe brands)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) honey
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) ground flaxseed (spooned and leveled, not packed)
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) dried apricots or apples, diced.
- Place oats in a medium skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring often, 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove toasted oats to a medium bowl.
- Add sunflower seed kernels to skillet and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until most kernels appear lightly browned. Remove to bowl with the oats.
- Reduce heat to low and add sunflower seed butter and honey to the pan. Whisk and heat 1-2 minutes, until combined and somewhat melted.
- Remove skillet from heat and whisk in ground flaxseed, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the toasted oats, toasted sunflower seeds and diced dried fruit until thoroughly combined.
- Press mixture evenly into an ungreased 8×8-inch pan. Cover and chill in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Cut into 12 bars. The bars will keep at room temperature, but should be stored in the refrigerator, up to 1 week, for optimal freshness.
Alisa Fleming is a contributing editor to Allergic Living magazine and the author of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance and Casein Free Living, and founder of Godairyfree.org.