by Christina Frantzis
Fend off the cold with our favorful chicken and root vegetable stew, topped with delightful dairy-free, gluten-free dumplings.
Makes: 4-5 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, halved and sliced
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups (710 mL) gluten-free, allergy-friendly chicken broth
- 1 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- Black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- For the stew, season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil and swirl to coat. Place chicken in pan and cook 5-6 minutes per side. Chicken will not be cooked through, but skin will be lightly golden. Remove chicken, and set aside.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan. Return to heat and reduce to medium. Add prosciutto and onions. Cook 2-3 minutes, until onions start to get translucent. Stir in leeks and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until leeks start to soften.
- Add celery root, sweet potato, rosemary, tarragon and salt. Stir to mix. Cook, stirring occasionally, until root vegetables start to soften, about 5-6 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and add broth and lemon juice. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- For the dumplings, in a small bowl combine flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, chives, parsley, rosemary, onion powder and black pepper. Stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from pan. Continue simmering vegetable mixture, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, remove skin and shred chicken. Discard bones and skin.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup (60 mL) of hot broth from vegetable mixture. Stir into sauce until thickened. Return shredded chicken to pan.
- Drop dumpling dough by the tablespoon into stew. (you’ll have 10-12 dumplings). Spoon sauce over dumplings. Cover pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are doubled in size and cooked through.
- Season stew with black pepper to taste. Serve it in bowls, topped with 2-3 dumplings on top, and garnish with chives.
- For chickpea flour, look for allergy-friendly, gluten-free brands. To make your own, place dried chickpeas in a high-speed blender and pulse repeatedly, until flour consistency is reached.
- Not gluten-free, dairy-free? You can also use the dumplings recipe here.
- Celery root (also called celeriac) shouldn’t be confused with celery and is sold widely in produce sections, often with leaf stalks attached. Remove stalks and peel the root before dicing.