You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:57 pm 

I just found this forum yesterday, and not only have I found it helpful but emotional as well. It is great knowing that I am not the only parent out there with allergic kids.
Both of my boys suffer from severe food allergies. My oldest who is 3 going on 13 is anaphylactic to eggs, nuts and oats while my 18 month old is anaphylactic to eggs and soy.
When my youngest was 10 months old we had already had him tested for allergies because his eczema was so bad. Our older son, being allergic to eggs, we had decided not even to try eggs with our younger son until he was atleast 2 or 3. One night, I was feeding him Heinz beef veggie spaghetti mix for dinner. Heinz is safe, right? they would label everything right? WRONG to both. I noticed his lip looked a bit bigger, thought I was seeing things. I was just being paranoid because of our older son. Then he started crying, and I noticed he was turning red and his breathing was just not right. I grabbed the benedryl and gave it to him. He threw it up. I was at a loss. I called our pedietrician about giving him another dose. He said to and to monitor. Which I did. 15 minutes later he called to check on him, he was fine. It was like nothing had happened. The next day, I had to work so when I dropped him off at the daycare, I told them everything that happened the day before, and asked them to keep an eye on him. I realized when I got to London that I had forgotten my cell phone, (home is 45 min. away) but relaxed because my husband always had his work phone on him. I did not expect anything to go wrong.
At 11:45 am they, the daycare, tried to call my cell phone ( I was not scheduled to work until 2pm). The called my work, and called my house. My son, trhe youngest, was having breathing difficulty. At 1:45pm I walked into work and was told to call the daycare. When I called they told me what was happening. They had my husband on the iother line. It took them 2 HOURS before attempting to call my husband! I hung up the phone and drove like a mad women to the daycare, I was there in 25 min. When I walked into the room, I knew immedietly that it was not his asthma. I loaded him in my car, and drove 150km/hr to my house to get my cell, just in case. When I reached my house, I called 911.We had to stay at the hospital for 6 hours. Although they had talked about using an epi, they decided to try more benedryl first. I told them that we were waiting on his test results. They pulled them up on the computer and said his score for eggs was 150 . I still cannot believe that the daycare made such a HUGE error. I gave my notice at work, and have been staying home with my boys since.
During the follow up appt. with our allergist he confirmed our fears that eggs and even soy could kill our baby.
It was last month that we found out that our older son's allergies have multiplied to include nuts, but that the allergies we already knew about had become even worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:46 pm 

Hi Amanda, and welcome.

Sounds like you've been through a rough time recently. Hopefully things will calm down for awhile and let you catch your breath.

I too decided to stay home with my kids when both of them ended up with severe food allergies five years ago. I never thought I'd be a SAHM (just not my style) but allergies have a way of altering your life!

It's been 5.5 years since my oldest was first diagnosed, and luckily we're on a bit of a "plateau" in the allergy journey. It does get better as they get a bit older and are able to self-protect better, but every age has its challenges.

I'm sure you'll find lots of support here. Let us know if you need things specifically.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:11 pm 

Welcome Amanda! I'm glad you've discovered this forum - it has helped so many of us as we are dealing with this very serious health issue. I'm sure it will help you too!

I am also now a stay-at-home-mom... not something I had anticipated either! But it's been the best thing for our family... handling our son's food allergies (and some other health issues) were our first priority, and needed much more care than my husband and I could handle with both of us working. We also have a 7 year old daughter, who is fortunately very healthy, but raising healthy kids takes energy too, and we could not manage our family situation with both of us working. We also had a few incidents with our son's daycare resulting in allergic reactions, and we just simply could not put him at risk this way. Just prior to his 3rd birthday, we pulled our son from daycare and I've been a stay-at-home-mom ever since. I work with my husband on a very part-time basis, but that's about all we can handle at the moment.

Our son was diagnosed just over 3 years ago, and as Karen had mentioned, it DOES get easier to manage. I've found our son has made tremendous gains in his understanding and protection of himself since he turned 4. He now knows all of his allergens, and he is very aware of the need to care for himself (handwashing, not putting things in his mouth (besides food), etc). He still makes the odd mistake, but it's becoming less and less frequent. We are slowly introducing some self-care strategies as he slowly matures. For example, in the last month we are letting him wear his Epipen belt when he's out in the front yard playing - then if he wants to go ride his bike around the block with us, he has the belt on, plus he is getting used to wearing it. He attends preschool for 2 hours in the morning (which required a lot of prep for the school and him - but I won't go into all that here), but we've just recently been sending in his own wipes in his own lunch bag so that after he washes his hands in the washroom, he uses a wipe to clean his own eating area and his hands - we used to let the teachers do it, but we could tell that he was now ready to do this himself (with teacher supervision). So, as you can see, little by little our children begin to care for themselves, and this is so important when dealing with food allergies. We really want our son to live a full life and as normal a life as possible, but he can only do this if he can manage to care for himself. Obviously we do most everything, but he's beginning to grasp the concept and take part.

Your children are still very young, but you may find when your eldest reaches 4 (or so) that you can slowly allow him to be introduced to these self-protection techniques.

Best of luck with everything! By the way, I know someone who lives out your way - in Rodney! Small world! I won't get into names on this forum, but just wanted to let you know that I've been through your neck of the woods visiting our friends.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:14 am 

I hope your are seeing a good allergist. It sounds like you are doing all you can to really educate yourself. That's great! I would also reccomend checking all the ingredients in soaps and stuff your kids use. Eggs and soy can be found in bath stuff and cause reactions. Reducing their chemical load will also help a lot. Try going all natural. It's helped me and my son out tremendously.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:14 pm 

Something I'd add to the comment about teaching kids to self-protect: I don't think it's ever too early to start. My guys were doing a good job of keeping themselves safe (as best they could) even at the age of three.

When Xavier was barely three, he stopped himself from tasting a blob of home-made pudding on the counter and asked me if it was safe. (I'd been making two kinds - one with milk and one with coconut milk). I was very impressed and proud.

It's like any other set of safety rules, like not touching a hot stove or not putting your finger in a socket or not running into the street: you teach them not to do it in age-appropriate terms from a very young age and they start to get it pretty quickly.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:45 am 

The allergist that we are using is fabulous! I have been with him since I was 15 for my asthma, so I have a good relationship with him. I am not afraid to ask him anything and in the same token he is not afraid to say anything to me.