* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergies and asthma
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:56 am 

Hi

I have not been on here for awhile.
I have drug, environmental, dust and allergies. This time of year is usually not to bad for me it is usually worse in September with the ragweed and all the bugs my 2 kids bring home.
It's effecting my breathing now because I have asthma.

Does anyone else have similiar problems?

Thanks

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:35 pm 

I don't have asthma, but I wonder if it's perhaps because of the smog? There have been smog alerts recently in your area, haven't there? I would think that would have an effect on anyone with asthma.

Were you looking for info or just a show of hands as to who's feeling it right now?

My youngest has asthma and environmental allergies (as well as FAs) and I have to admit, the summer months -- with their heat, humidity and smog -- always worry me. I feel like every season is bad for him now: summer for the reasons stated, fall for various pollens and viruses, winter for the cold air and viruses, and spring for the pollen!! :(

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:16 pm 

Hi

It sounds like you have your hands full with your child that has asthma and allergies. My asthma seems to have alot of trigger similiar to your child so it effects me in each season too.

You are right about the smog here. I think I have an infection as well as the allergies which is effecting my asthma.

I appreciate your comments and good luck with your children.

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:20 pm 

Hi Karen, I have a lot of environmental allergies too...and I also find that spring and fall are the worst times for me. (But allergic rhinitis is a problem year round.) This summer, though, I've been much better than usual...I think it is because of the preseasonal grass pollen and ragweed vaccination shots I've been getting this year. (Not sure when they are supposed to kick in as I'm not finished with the treatment...but that's the only thing that I can think of that is different.) I still have allergies, but I'm sleeping better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:21 pm 

the smog is brutal and tends to effect my asthma quiet a bit, summer is usually brutal for me i feel like i've got someone sitting on my chest every time i go out

the two things that i've found have significantly helped my asthma cutting out dairy (because i'm lactose intollerant) the reason dairy produces phlem which further contricts the air ways

the second thing that helps, beleive it or not, is coffee reason is it's a stimulants, so that i'm not injecting needless calories and caffine i drink half caff with sweetner i didn't beleive the coffee thing till i tried it myself. i still sometimes need my rescue inhaller but for me it helped decrease my full out attacks and hospital visits (it's been over a year since i've needed to go)