Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Newbie Here!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:01 pm 

Hi everyone!

My name is Meaghan and I'm anaphylactic to milk, beef, crab, oyster, tuna, pistachios and strawberries. I've had the allergies all my life (I grew out of a few, like purple grapes and nuts.)

I love the allergic living magazine, and I decided to check out the forum!

Meaghan.xx

Last edited by MissPink15 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:55 am 

Hi Meaghan -

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found us, and that you like the magazine. Hopefully you'll find some kindred spirits here. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:52 am 

Hi Meaghan,

My sister is allergic to all the same things as you except the strawberries (+ she has some other allergies.) Hmmmmm.....I wonder if the beef and milk allergy could be related. (no idea--just a guess)

Welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:07 pm 

Helen,
My allergist says that their is a link between my daughters egg allergy and chicken allergy. The few patients he has ever seen allergic to chicken...they have all been allergic to eggs as well. He said that certain components to the protein are the same. I suspected beef allergy as well...but she tested negative. I do not feed it to her though. A) because she does not like it and B) because I don't see the point trying to force red meat into her if I still suspect it may be a problem (maybe not a severe allergic reaction...but I don't think it agrees with her.

Meaghan,

Welcome to the forum. Hope to hear your insights into what it has been like to live with milk allergy all your life. It seems to be the biggest challenge with my daughters.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:29 pm 

Hello to All~

I am a new user and very anxious to get to know some of you and maybe get some help with my newest found fear...sending my 4 year old to school in a remote part of northern Ontario. He is allergic to nuts, peanuts, fish and egg. This is the first year the school system. The school and board have not seen anyone like him. His class has about 27 JK/SK students in it. I am very anxious as the teacher has only one full time TA in the room :shock: Any suggestions to have the school more allergy friendly? Any help of referral to help would be great.

I feel as though I am here alone and what limited resources we have available are not very helpful at this time. I am hopeful to become the leader on the topic(s).

Yoli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:20 am 

Welcome Yoli,

There is an excellent anaphylaxis resource package available now in all schools in Ontario. It was sent out in the spring to schools and it includes the document - Anaphylaxis In Schools and Other Settings, which was prepared by the Canadian Allergists and support groups. Most of the same information can be found at the website: www.allergysafecommunities.ca Check out the discussions about these under the resource section of this forum. Is your school on a reserve? I remember in the discussions about Bill 3 that the legislation might not apply to schools under the jurisdiction of the federal government.

Regardless, it is possible to manage food allergies in a school. My daughter just finished her JK year with allergies to milk, egg and peanut. Her teacher had great routines of hand and table washing in effect in the classroom. I trained the staff on anaphylaxis and epipens and provided treats on special occasions. We insisted that our daughter only eat food provided by or approved by us. It worked very well. We approached the school with a positive attitude and a willingness to assist in whatever way we could. Good luck.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi Yoli - welcome.

Kate's given you some good ideas and I'm sure you'll find the info at allergysafecommunities.ca helpful/enlightening.

In terms of other people having similar experiences, I suggest posting under the Schools/Anaphylaxis Laws section on this site. I'm not as knowledgeable as Kate on reserve schools, but all other Ontario schools should be covered under Bill 3 - Sabrina's Law. Other people posting under Schools/Anaphylaxis Laws will have some practical ideas as well.

All the best with it - you've taken the right first step - looking for guidance.

Post subject: Safe Schools
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:28 am 

Good Morning~

Thanks so much for all the information. :) We are not on a reserve however the school is adjacent to one and we have a high enrolment of the First Nation's students. I will definately check out the link that you have mentioned. Our local school has a high turn over rate so we are not only dealing with new teachers, administration each term (not just school year) we are also dealing with a lack of communication which in turn is making it a wee bit difficult. I am keeping up the positive attitude. I am trying to think about this as a new piece of clay that needs some molding :D The one benefit to the school is that the enrollment is at only about a 100 if we are lucky which means to me that it may be manageable. The one downside to the size of things is the size of my sons classroom. There are 27 JK/SK children registered and the JK's are only there Mon-Fri from 9-12 and the SK's are all day. The lunches and various snacks are checked (sort of) each day and they are moved from children's bags to mini containers so that would mean they are approved. Hands are washed before and after snack time however where my fear lies is in the lack of checking bags and knowing how to read labels :cry: I hope that in time this will be a priority and that everyone realizes how serious this is :roll: I get the feeling now that people do not take this very seriously. In fact, I spoke with the school lunch room support person and she did not even know that kids were not to have any nut or peanut free lunches.

In any case, I appreciate this forum to speak a bit of my mind and it does make me feel as though I am not in a field all alone. :lol:

Thanks so much.

Yoli