You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Another newbie here...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:50 pm 

I had never dealt with allergies until my oldest son, who is now 5 turned one and we tried peanuts. At the time I was not aware of any allergies in the family and my niece who was 9mos older had tried it without a reaction.

Well, he did react and as well to milk, soy and tomato products. The first few years of this were trying. Even though we continued to be vigilant about what he ate and I did lot's of research, he was still reacting to something. We made the hard decision to remove my beloved dog from our home and asked our land lord for a new home that was being built without carpets.

Once we moved, he only reacted when he was visitng someone with a dog. He's been to an allergist twice now and we are goign again in November to retest the peanuts with the RAST test.

The last testing showed he had outgrown all his food allergies except for peanuts and was now allergic to at least four nuts. Allergic to dust mites, tree pollen and cats and dogs. He also dealt with eczema sine he was 3 months old and has recently out grown that as well.

He also has reactions to extreme temperatures such as heat from the sun if he's out in direct sunlight he develops hives and when snow touches his skin or the wind is too cold.

My second son who is almost two has been reacting to milk the same as his older brother, which is the with diarehea. He shows no other signs for eczema or other allergies. I am hopefull he will outgrow the milk intolerance.

I've since learned that my father had a milk intolerance as a baby as well. I already knew my brother was allergice to penecillian. On my dh's side of the family are eczema from dh himself and food allgeis in his mother and at least one sister to mushrooms and red peppers. I look forward to learning more, sharing my experiences and getting to know this forum and it's memebers.

ds 2 - (milk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Donna,

Welcome to the Allergic Living Forum! Think you'll enjoy it here, we have a very supportive, resourceful online community.

Good luck with the testing, by the way. Hope you can test your younger guy, too, in case it's milk allergy, not just intolerance.

Again - welcome. /Gwen