You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: old me - new allergy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:31 pm 

Hi .... I dropped by when the site first opened, but got busy with life and didn't check in for a long time. I figured I had everything worked out and managed fairly well with my allergies. Then, last week, I had an anaphylactic reaction to tuna. I have never been allergic to tuna before, and the only allergy serious anough to cause an anaphylactic reaction in the past was tree nuts. This was a total shock. Fortunately I was at the hospital for an iv treatment, and eating the nice hospital's tuna salad for lunch , when I had the reaction. I responded well to all the goodies they shoved into me and a few hours later the nice dr relented and let me go home to my own bed ... vibrating from all the epinephrine but inhaling and exhaling just fine. The experience has quite unnerved me. I did not expect a new allergy of this type to just come out of the blue. I am worried now about everything I put in my mouth ... great for the diet :) Seriously, the emotional impact of the experience is lasting a lot longer than the allergy symptoms.
Barb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:43 pm 

:( So sorry for your new allergy; as if nuts isn't enough.

Step on over to the Fish and Shellfish section. Lots of good info about hidden fish/shellfish in products.

Take care,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Barb,

I feel for you, and think I know what you're going through. I developed soy and peanut allergies in my 40s - who knew you could?

This was figured out after an anaphylactic attack, and I did go through a period of fearing what was on my plate, and no, not the recommended way to lose weight! I can tell you that the fear does abate, but definitely some psychological fallout from these grownup incidents.

Just so you know, Allergic Living mag. is working on an allergy and food phobia story for early next year. Should be interesting reading for many of us.

best with it, Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 am 

Thanks. I saw my immunologist yesterday and he wasn't keen on doing skin tests so I am having a blood test this morning to try and pin down what the food allergies are ... and exactly what caused the nasty reaction, we hope. Hopefully, once I have some answers I can figure out how this fits into my life. I was browsing throug the fish allergy site and I was quite shocked to learn that fish products are in so many things. That never even occurred to me before.
Barb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:57 am 

I'm so sorry for the new upheaval to your life... It must be very very unnerving.

See also the post about the psychological effects of allergies at

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1060

K.