Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Twins with allergies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:06 pm 

Hi
I'm new to this site but it's great to read everyone's suggestions. It makes you feel like your not alone. My 3 year old daughter is anaphylactic to milk and peanuts. She had a soy, rice allergy until she was 21/2 years but thankfully they seem to be gone. We found out before Christmas that my 5 month old twins girls are also allergic to milk and soy. They were congested and wheezing for 2 months and after a visit to the Er, numerous visits to FMD and pediatrician we figured it out. They both have eczema. I'm breastfeeding and was supplementing with Alsoy but changed them to Alimentum and there breathing improved and their skin is slowly getting better.i've decided to wean them off breastfeeding because it is just getting to hard for me to change my diet and have enough energy and calories to make enough milk for two babies. I've had alot of problems breastfeeding so I think I'm done. But it's really hard to stop. I'm hoping that their skin will really get better and they will start feeling well. Does anyone else have twins that have allergies and how are they coping. The cost of switching to the Alimentum is crazy and are insurance plan doens't cover the cost. Any one is Ontario know any suggestions?We just started them on barley cereal this week but it's scary I'm afraid to try anything.Thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 am 

Hi Durocp!

Our twins have food and environmental allergies also. They are now 6 1/2 yrs old (and so far we've all survived!!? :lol: ). I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in the way of advice, just lots of sympathy!
When my sons were infants it was HARD. They were both sick, miserable little guys and it took us and their doctors way too long to figure out what was going on (I was so exhausted that I was barely functioning, let alone finding time to do the research to navigate the rather shaky medical advice we were getting).
I did opt to keep breastfeeding for as long as possible. I did an elimination diet to help pinpoint what they were reacting to, and when I cut out eggs, and all legumes, their skin, breathing and other symptoms improved dramatically. I took fenugreek supplements, and paid a lot of attention to my diet (translate that to ate enough food to kill a horse...especially protein, and of course drank tonnes of water). I also rented a breast pump, and pumped several extra times a day to stimulate my milk supply.
Looking back now, I realize that I was so determined to breastfeed my babies no matter what, that I may have lost sight of the big picture. There were times when I was so exhausted, and struggling miserably with the breastfeeding, it might have been better just to stop pressuring myself so much. So if you do decide to stop breastfeeding, don't beat yourself up about it! Being a mom to multiples can be very challenging, let alone breastfeeding them, and then add food allergies, and a preschooler to care for on top of that!
I was lucky that my sons were able to eat rice, oats and most vegetables and meats, so by the time they hit about a year old their diets were healthful and varied (probably moreso than they are now, when one won't eat much of anything but freenut butter and jam sandwiches, and apples :roll: ). Introducing them to new foods was stressful. Make sure you have good medical advice, and have clear, safe instructions to follow from your doctor in that regards.
There is loads of great info on this forum, and here's a link to a forum about multiples (not allergy helpful, but covers twin specific issues).
http://www.twinstuff.com/

And it really does get easier...much, much easier. Hang in there.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:43 am 

Hugs to you, Durocp.

I'd recommend keeping on breastfeeding for as long as you can make it. It's super-tough to find stuff you can eat in the beginning, but it gets a LOT easier. And it's cheaper than the hypo-allergenic formula.

Three tips about eating dairy-free (for you). First is to get yourself on rice milk. It's available pretty much everywhere now -- Superstore carries fortified Rice Dream in the 2L size in the milk section here in BC. It's a good substitute for milk, and after a year on it, I'm not sure I can go back to real milk once I stop nursing my baby.

Second is to get the calcium-fortified orange juice. Minute Maid makes one, and there's a Superstore house brand. And last is to get yourself a non-dairy calcium supplement. BF'ing takes a lot of calcium out of you, and you want to make sure that you're getting enough for yourself and your old age.

Email me if you need any advice on recipes/food for a non-dairy diet. It's hard in the beginning, but gets a lot easier after 2-3 months. And also, if you're eating non-dairy, you can let your kids mooch from your plate. (My DS1 is highly allergic to dairy, and he can eat from my plate but not from dad's.)

(Amy's makes a super-yummy non-dairy vegetarian pizza. I cut up non-dairy sausage and put it on top, and it's a tasty fast meal.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:52 am 

Where do you begin with an elimination diet? How long to you stop the food and when do you try it again? Do you know any specific place where I can learn more about it? Thanks. This may give me some inspiration to continue. I'm down to one feed a day and pumping once a day. I did have to take domperidone the past 6 months to increase my milk supply so if I decide to continue I'd have to start it up again. I have colitis myself so all the fenugreeek and blessed thistle wasn';t so great on my body. My daughter drinks the rice milk so I could try to drink it . I'm so glad that I found this forum. It has made me really think hard what I should do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:50 am 

Here is a link that explains the method that I used for an elimination diet:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041200.asp

The best thing to do would be to try to get a referral to a nutritionist or dietician from your doctor. Getting enough nutrients while you are breastfeeding twins is serious business. You want to be careful that your babies, and yourself are getting enough of everything (especially calcium like wenat mentionned).
I also kept a detailed diary while I was doing the elimination diet. I recorded what I ate, when I nursed, any symptoms, changes in behavour etc. It helps you to see any patterns emerging.

And here is another link to more breastfeeding info (increasing milk supply etc.).
http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
The articles were written by Dr. Jack Newman. My mom bought me his "Guide to Breastfeeding" when my sons were first born, and I found it invaluable...that is, after I got over the fact that it was a breastfeeding book written by a man! :wink:

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:19 pm 

So, I've decided to continue with the breastfeeding at least try for another month or two. I bought some rice milk to try and tried to find another foods without soy and milk and we'll see how it goes. The hardest is to find a margarine that doesn't have dairy and soy. I know we had a really hard time baking for our daughter unitl she could take the fleishman's lactose free margarine. My husband sorta supports my decision he's just afraid it will be to hard on me. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:08 pm 

I wish you all the best! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:44 am 

Hi durocp, and welcome!

Just a message to offer my support in your efforts to continue breastfeeding your babies. Ds and I are almost finished bf'g, but I'm still on a restricted diet. Even when we're done, it won't change so much.

Everyone's right that it only gets easier. And I agree with wenat that the thought of returning to dairy milk after you get used to rice milk seems weird! For me, it's been 18 months without dairy, and about 15 without soy. Peanuts and eggs followed. Each was an adjustment, but now hubby and I are pro's at this! : )

Good luck with everything, and enjoy the knowledge and support you will find on this forum.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 am 

Hi durocp -

I also BF'd my youngest for a long time (3 years) avoiding wheat, barley, dairy, eggs, peanut, and nuts the whole time. We didn't have to avoid soy, though, and that is a kicker when combined with the dairy.

I support moms both ways. I'm glad I BF'd for so long for a lot of reasons, including getting the chances to walk in my son's shoes for awhile and feeling like we were in it together. But I know that dietary restrictions can be really hard and I'm sure nursing twins is no easy feat! So you have to do what is right for you and your family. Although figuring out what that is can be challenging at times...!

Best of luck with how it all goes. I hope we can continue to offer you support along the way.

K.