You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:51 pm 

Found out at the allergist's on Thursday Jan. 18 that our 14-month-old is allergic to eggs, dairy and tree nuts, and possibly wheat and fish. We had blood drawn the next day for the RAST test but are waiting for the results. The wheals from the skin prick were pretty large for the eggs and nuts. Anyway, we got the EpiPen script filled and have been on tenterhooks ever since. Today I minorly freaked out b/c for a split second I thought I'd given her cow's milk in her sippy instead of soy. I KNEW I'd given her soy but a part of me didn't believe myself!

Anyway, I've been on the Internet every naptime and after her bedtime trying to get as much information as possible. This is the first forum I've found where you don't have to pay to post. I may go ahead and sign up for the Kids With Allergies one and pay once we know for sure what's going on (if there is a "for sure").

I do have a couple of questions:
1. The EpiPen Jr. info says to keep it at 77F degrees, "excursions permitted to 59F to 86F". We keep our house at 62F at night, and just going outside with the EpiPen in the diaper bag it'll get below 59F pretty quickly. How crucial is this? I hope I NEVER have to use it but if I do I want it to WORK!

2. Anyone have any luck finding a soy cheese without casein? The only one we have around here is Tofutti and the 2nd ingredient there is partially hydrogenated oil, so that's just junk.

Thanks so much for any help!
Kendra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:02 pm 

Hi Kendra, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us!

1. For the EpiPen, I think normal "wear and tear" temperature-wise is fine. I think the real risks are (a) putting it in the fridge (I've seen it done); and (b) leaving it out in the car or just outside when it's either quite cold or quite warm out.

An allergist once told our support group that if your body can stand the temperature, your EpiPen can too. But we prefer to make sure it's in the shade all the time on warm days and within a coat (inner pocket) on cold days.

There have been other discussions about this on the forum. I will try to look for them but right now my kids are calling me to supper!

2. Soy cheese without casein - besides Tofutti there is Earth Island and I think one other whose name escapes me. See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=1195& for more details about Earth Island.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Karen- was the other cheese you were thinking about Rice?
Heres' the link:
http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/usa/vegan.asp
I haven't looked too closely at the hydrogenated oil content of our food. :oops: I figure we don't eat a lot of convenience foods so it's a small part of our diet.
Kendra-I know what you mean about second guessing yourself about what was put in the sippy cup. We had to remove cows milk completely from our house for this reason. My husband works shifts and is always tired and he was very worried about doing this. Now I use CoffeeRich in my coffee and others have used Silk for Coffee. For everything else we use soy milk.
I think it's such a worry because it's a huge responsibility. It's a huge learning curve and very stressful at first.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:34 am 

Susan - I think it might have been the Galaxy cheese. Don't they also make a safe soy cheese? I thought so. Can't remember!

I also don't worry too much (okay - at all) about the hydrogenated oil content of our food. Frankly, when the list of things you have to avoid is as long as ours, your focus is elsewhere!

We have dairy in the house but we have strict rules around how it's used. We never have it away from the table. For the sake of sanity we only have water at the table (very old rule that came to be when I accidentally switched glasses once - and gave dairy to my youngest and DariFree milk sub to my oldest - with serious consequences). Actually, my oldest has pretty much given up milk except on his cereal.

My youngest has a special very garish glass that is ONLY for his rice milk. Any other white liquid in any other kind of glass would be considered dairy. We have dedicated sippy cups with the kids' names splashed all over them to avoid confusion. We also label the tops of the sippy cups so there is no risk of cross-contamination. My oldest has to wash his hands with soap and water as soon as he leaves the table if he's consumed dairy (as do we).

Funny thing is... now it's all so part of our lives that we don't even think about it. I'm sure outsiders secretly think we're very strange or have some kind of control disorder! LOL. But it keeps us sane, ironically enough. You need to have strict rules if you're going to have allergens in the house, in my opinion.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

I'll look for those cheeses. I'm mainly trying to replace our cheese with soy cheese - at least for now. Maybe I'll relax a little once I'm in the swing of all this. Same with the soy milk - I'm not buying any more cow's milk until I know more about how severe her allergies are.

I did see these to put on sippy cups, etc. www.bumpyname. com that I'm thinking of getting for group get-togethers with other Moms and kids. I'm still BFing but she does drink water while we're out and I don't want other kids using her cup or her grabbing theirs. Hard at this age.

She also is a very good self-soother by sucking on two fingers of her right hand. How can I break her of this and keep her sleeping and settling okay? It seems pretty dangerous now for her to pop her fingers in at any given moment.

Thanks again for all the help!
Kendra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 pm 

My youngest had a soother until she was about 3. We used it ALL the time in public until she was about 2 - 2 1/2. It just helped keep things out of her mouth. I know it seems like an odd time to start a soother habit, at your daughters age, ..but it might help break her of the fingers habit...which is quite scary for allergic little ones.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:30 pm 

I agree - a soother might work, although it might be too late. You can take a soother away at some point (as we learned with our oldest, at the age of 3) but you can't take away fingers or thumb very easily ... as we have learned with our youngest - who is now 6 and still lovin' that thumb!!

The bumpyname thing is cute. If you don't want to spend money, you can use a Sharpie marker and put something like a smiley face or two with her name so that she can recognize it. That's what we did until our youngest could read his own name - it was "his" symbol so he "read" could his cups and such. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:41 pm 

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions.

Katie gave up her pacifier (soother) at about 6 months - and even up to then she only used it sporadically when she was really upset. We actually have her on video sucking on her two fingers an hour after she was born.

I'm trying to remember to use wet wipes on her after she touches something suspicious and after every outing, when I put her in the car seat. She's quick with the fingers, though. Even when they taste like wet wipes. Bleh.

I went to Mrs. Green's (chain of "natural food" shops) and got overwhelmed looking at the soy cheeses. When something has a "lact-" beginning but then says (vegan) after it, is that dairy-safe? I know the soy yogurt I found from Whole Soy & Co. says lactic acid (from vegetable sources) so that's OK, but the vegan thing throws me as to whether it's really really dairy free. I ended up just not buying any. She's never had cheese so it's not like she'll miss it, and we can live without it. And as I mentioned in another post, I think I'll just buy soybeans and forgo the processed stuff (although I guess it's a good source of calcium as tofu and fortified soymilk). Arg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:56 pm 

Vegan means no animal products (right??) so I would think it would mean dairy free. Having said that, I've seen soy "cheeses" that say they are dairy free when they contain casein - which is a milk protein - so it's very hard to say for sure. My experience is that there are very few soy cheeses out there that don't have casein in them. But there are a few.

For a product you're not sure of, I would take either a cell phone to the store and try calling the company right there on the spot (if they have a 1-800 number) or write down the bar code and product name and call when you get home. I've done both and those are the two best options, really. Buying the product in question and then calling sometimes means you end up with something unsafe -- not to mention expensive!

It does get easier (sort of) once you find a product or two that is safe and that you like. Granted, that can take time... but over time you will find you have a decent little list of safe products.

We had a big discussion about lactic acid at http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=1811& (see my post from Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 pm and subsequent posts), including other words for dairy from FAAN, so check that out for more info.

And of course we have Lance as our resident food expert so if you have a question about a particular term, post it here (maybe in the Labelling forum) and you'll get a response.

K.

P.S. I know what you mean about the soother/finger thing and how hard (impossible) it can be to get them to switch. My youngest found his thumb when he was very young and was never interested in a soother at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:17 pm 

So we finally heard back from the allergist today. She scored 2s on milk, peanuts and tree nuts (cashew) on the blood test. The egg came up negative but she's definitely allergic to both white and yolk from the skin test and the vomiting. The wheat and fish are negatives but he suggested introducing them very gradually (ie, one little Puffed Wheat, then 2 more 15 minutes later, then three, then four, over an hour). He thinks someone else should handle the fish.

So we have the number of a nutritionist to see to balance out what's missing from the milk.

But with those numbers, the allergist is pretty hopeful she'll grow out of these allergies. I hope he's right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:06 am 

KatesMom wrote:
He thinks someone else should handle the fish.

That's great that you got some info to work with.

I'm not sure what you mean by the quote above. Did he not recommend to hold off on introducing fish for a few years? She's just over 1 year old, right?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:44 am 

He meant that since we haven't sorted out my fish allergies yet, I shouldn't make or touch the fish sticks or whatever. I plan to make an appointment with him once things settle down (or don't) to figure out which fish I'm allergic to (cod for sure, catfish, whitefish, but not some others I've had). I haven't had a reaction in about 7 years so maybe I'm not even allergic anymore, I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 pm 

Ohhh... I get it. I forgot that you were allergic to fish. (Sorry!)

I guess the good news is that there isn't a rush to introduce fish into your daughter's diet given her age. At least, that was the recommendation from our allergist when my kids were younger... i.e. for children with other allergies to avoid fish until at least 3 years. Maybe with the whole "who the heck knows what's going on?" philosophy in allergic circles these days -- see the latest issue of Allergic Living -- that advice is now out the window...?

To give you some hope: my oldest is allergic to fish. When he was much younger, he was fine with fish and loved sole. Then he started reacting to it (around age 3-4). We got him tested and were told to avoid all fish. Then, as time went on and his picky eating habits plus his allergies really restricted his diet, we asked if he could be tested for specific fish. The result: he's allergic to some kinds of fish (including sole) but perfectly okay with others (like salmon and tilapia and halibut), which he loves.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:14 pm 

I think some fish are just more allergenic than others - I've also had tilapia, halibut, flounder, salmon, tuna with no problems. And up until a couple weeks ago I'd been taking fish oil supplements daily (to supposedly help with DD's eczema through the breastmilk). Now I'm concerned about using the chapstick I have that I've discovered has orange roughy oil in it, or touching the A+D diaper rash ointment (cod liver oil).