Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:58 am 

scallywag,

I asked my local chemist/pharmacy here in London and they confirmed that a prescription is needed for an Epipen in the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:10 pm 

Hi Storm, i also asked the pharmacy today also and got the same response.

I am of the opinion that my son will not be given an epi pen. I have been told that epi pens arent issued for sesame allergy, and this came from an allergy nurse. I am determined to get the right treatment if i think my sons allergy needs it, but its very hard making my point as they are not listening. And quite honestly you start to doubt whether or not you have valid reasons when this is the case.

I really dont know what to do, do i push for an epi pen, or just leave it.??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 pm 

Maybe this news article will help the doctor decide whether or not sesame allergy is dangerous:

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/ ... boy_15.php

Quoted from the article:

Quote:
After the inquest his dad of Thursfield Road, Burnley paid tribute to his son and said: "I just can't understand how this happened.

"We all knew he was allergic to sesame seeds but the reaction had always been so mild before and then this happens.

I have to admit that I personally find it offensive when experts don't feel sesame allergy is serious. There is a lot of evidence that shows it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:20 pm 

I found a UK site that sells accessories.

Here are a few links:

For carrying cases,

http://www.kidsaware.co.uk/shop-category.php?subcat=35

For medical accessories (protect-tube),

http://www.kidsaware.co.uk/shop-category.php?subcat=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:53 am 

Thanks Anna Marie for looking up these sites. Very helpful, its all worth a try.

Thanks also for the post, this really does confirm it doesnt it. I really need to push for an epi pen, and explain that sesame allergy can be unpredictable. I just cant beleive i have to battle with the doctors to get what my son needs.

I am even more determined now.

Thanks X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:24 pm 

hi, i have logged onto another website in the uk, not an allergy web site like this one, we seem to have shortage of forums on allergy in the uk also. There are parents on the site that have children who react to sesame seed and they dont have an epi pen either, and they seem very un aware of the dangers.

One parent said that there doctor had never heard of sesame seed allergy. Is the uk really that out of touch.

I will put my point across and see where i get on wednesday. I will let you know how i get on.

X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:39 pm 

I was just speaking with someone today working with FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network in the United States) regarding sesame. Sesame does not appear on the top 8 most common food allergens in the United States, however, it does appear on Canada's top 9 most common food allergens. I had spoken with them a couple of years ago and I wanted an update. In the United States, sesame definitely does appear on their radar as an allergen of concern, however, the person I spoke with at FAAN indicated that the FDA would need to approve the requirement to include sesame in the labeling regulations and have this information backed by scientific research and numbers. It does not yet have this scientific backing, but the indivdual at FAAN felt the next allergen of concern in the U.S. would be sesame. So, for now, the public would not be aware that sesame is an allergen of concern. I would hope there would be awareness amongst the allergists. What are the top most common food allergens within the European Union? I'm quite sure I read somewhere that the European Union had a top 12 most common & I thought sesame was included (maybe I'm mistaken?) along with mustard and celery and something else? I will have to look this up if I can remember the document where I read it. I thought if might FAAN or Anaphylaxis Canada, but I'll check.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:21 pm 

Scallywag, If you do a search on "European Union Allergens" you will come up with many hits. If found this one that may be of interest to you:

http://foodallergens.ifr.ac.uk/about.html

Here is an excerpt (under General Information):
Allergy Information: This contains a short summary of the clinical information page, hopefully written in clear, concise language. For many of the most important allergenic foods longer summaries written by expert clinicians are available as clickable links. These foods are milk, egg, fish, crustaceans, peanut, soy, wheat, corn (maize), apple, kiwi, hazelnut, almond, walnut, sesame, celery, mustard, spices, peach and banana. We have also supplied an extended summary for molluscs.

Also found this link:
http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/

With this excerpt (under the information tab)
What are the most common causes of anaphylaxis?

Common causes include foods such as peanuts, tree nuts (e.g. almonds, walnuts, cashews, Brazils), sesame, fish, shellfish, dairy products and eggs. Non-food causes include wasp or bee stings, natural latex (rubber), penicillin or any other drug or injection. In some people, exercise can trigger a severe reaction - either on its own or in combination with other factors such as food or drugs (e.g. aspirin).

Fresh fruit allergy may occur in people who are allergic to pollen. This is frequently mild, but a doctor's advice should be sought.

And another excerpt (also under the information tab):
What is the treatment for a severe reaction?

Pre-loaded adrenaline injection kits are available on prescription for those believed to be at risk. These are available in two strengths - adult and junior.

The injection must be given, as directed, as soon as a serious reaction is suspected and an ambulance must be called. If there is no improvement in 5-10 minutes, give a second injection.

So, it looks like there is support for the knowledge of sesame as a known food allergen within the U.K. And there is support for treatment for severe reactions.

Best of luck! If you continue a search, you will find many more links to information and support within the U.K.

[Edited by moderator to ensure that web links work.]

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:59 pm 

Hi Guys, scallywag here, just wanted to let you know that i have now been prescribed with an epi pen for my son, I had lots of things that i was going to say but i didnt need to make my case, as they had looked at my sons file and decided that he needed one. anyway, i didnt even have to ask, isnt that amazing.

So i didnt need my speech after all. I feel that such a weight has been lifted, at least i wont feel completely helpless if anything was to happen.

Thank you so much for your comments on this website it has been invaluable.

Scallywag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:58 pm 

Scallywag, that's great to hear. I'm glad the appointment went well for you. :)

When I first told an allergist I thought it was sesame seeds causing my reactions, he said they were *hypo-allergenic* and nobody could be allergic to them. :roll: A few years later, it was thought to be a *rare* allergen. About five years ago, I read an article that said that sesame allergy was rare, but those that had it tended to have anaphylactic reactions. Then, it made it's way into the *top 10* in Canada. My life has been a lot easier since then. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 pm 

Scallywag - I'm so happy (and relieved) that you were able to get an EpiPen. I know that you have other challenges with your son not wanting to stand out as different or tell his friends about how to help in an emergency, etc., but if you can at least convince him to carry it that is something.

He might want to check out the FAAN teen website: http://www.fanteen.org/index.php

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:42 pm 

Great news Scallywag! You sound very relieved.

We always make sure a minimum of 2 Epipens are always with our son (he wears one when we're out of the house, and we carry the other one or two), or when he's at school, he wears one and there are 2 others at the school (this is a requirement at his school).

I know it won't be easy to convince your son to have his Epipen(s) nearby at all times. The best you can do is educate him about the risks and hopefully this will alert him to the need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

That's great Scallywag - you sound greatly relieved. Well done. As someone at risk of anaphylaxis, I can't imagine eating without the security blanket of a handy Epi.

FYI, to other points in the discussion on sesame, I've read that sesame allergy is particularly prevalent in Israel. This is supposed to have something to do with how ubiquitous sesame is in the Middle Eastern diet. Similarly, cod allergy is common in Scandinavia.

Also, don't know if any of you read writer Janice Paskey's "Lament for Sesame" in AL mag's Winter issue, but in it, Janice referred to the work of Spanish scientist studying sesame allergy at the University of Leeds. In case anyone wants to research her work, her name is Estibalitz Orruno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Been following this discussion with nothing to add except-I'm so happy for you and your family that the medical profession was able to see the seriousness and give the prescription!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:32 am 

Excellent news!