You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:08 pm 

From what the doctor explained to me, and he took the time to explain because I ask lots of questions, you are correct, Karen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:49 pm 

Yep, Karen, you're right on that. The immune response is launched only when the gluten is consumed and for most people with celiac the gut starts to heal with the gluten free diet. The autoantigens (<=i *think* that's the right term) associated with the disease should also disappear from the bloodstream. (well, at least the EMA test and the anti-tTG test should come back negative eventually. not sure about the anti-gliadin test.)

I just asked because I recently heard a story about a family member's friend---she had positive blood tests across the board for celiac . . . the doctor didn't tell her to keep on eating gluten, and she went gluten free before the biopsy. The biopsy came back negative, so the doctor decided she does not have celiac. . . but wheat makes her stomach hurt.

I've heard that even a partially gluten free diet can mess up the results (this according to a GI doctor with whom my dietician consulted on my behalf). The thing is that the damage to the villi can be patchy. . . if the villi start to heal, the damage might not show up in the biopsy samples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Youngvader,

Hope you're feeling improved these days. Did you receive your diagnosis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 pm 

Dropping by again, I know it's not often lately.

They have found that it's not Celiac disease. That's good news. Bad news is the verdict is still up. Some days my stomach hurt a lot and I have digestion problems, sometimes I can go days without any problems. Just when I think I have found a solution, a proper dosage with meds or cutting some food or adding something (I have eating pro biotic yogourt fot the past 2 weeks and it seemed to help... until this afternoon) something bad happens again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Glad to hear it's not Celiac however, sorry to hear it's still a bit of a medial mystery to the Dr's.
It must not knowing.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:17 pm 

What brand of yogurt and what are your allergies?

Seems to me, one of these new fangled yogurts were a risk with a specific allergy. I'll try to hunt the info.

Okay, searched another forum. Someone had posted in July of this year that Danone Activia may contain traces of peanuts or nuts in the 100 gm. size containers. (Don't know about other sizes.) If that's what you were eating I'd suggest calling the company to verify if it is safe or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:52 pm 

I'm sure the drs thought of this already, but will throw this out there anyway--Crohns?
I wonder, too, if it would be a good idea to go back to the allergist to be tested for foods.

Good luck with this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:23 pm 

AnnaMarie, it is Danone Activa

How can company be still so irresponsible to put a product out that may contain some allergens and not mention it!

Damn! I'm pissed off lately because it seems there is a lot of food from companies I thought were responsible that contains something I'm allergic too and it's not listed! I'M not going to eat anything anymore!

He did not ruled out Crohn but he does not think it's that with the test results that are in up to now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Andrea_MASG said
Quote:
I called Danone regarding 'Activia' yogourt. They produce at least one flavour with nuts. They mentioned that their other flavours are made on the same line, and may contain traces of tree nuts.

However, the confirmed that there are no "may contain" statements on the ingredients list, nor is there such a statement on their website ingredient listing. Here are the ingredients listed for the 'Sweetened plain' flavour:

"Skim milk, concentrated skim milk, cream, sugar, fructose, whey protein concentrate, corn starch, gelatin, active bacterial cultures."

I asked Danone to relay a message to management regarding this omission.

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1852
This was posted January 24, 2007 so if they have not updated their labelling to addres this and they are still made on lines that may contain tree nuts some one ought to call the CFIAand make an inquiry.
That's nine months! You could create a person faster than they can create a label? That's insane. :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb