You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:16 pm 

Hi folks. I'm just checking in to say hello, and that I look forward to hearing all your stories, and listening to your feedback about this magazine and this website!

Post subject: Intro!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:00 pm 

Hi! I'm Monica, and I'm allergic to cats, dogs, horses, dust, peaches, apricots, nectarines, penicillin, and pollen. I'm a college student in Virginia and I love that this board is so new I get to use my first name at my user ID!

Post subject: nice. :)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:35 pm 

I'm ygg, I live in Virginia and have adult onset food allergies, lifelong environmental allergies, and I also have MCS.

My food allergies vary from anaphylactic (soy, wheat, papaya, penicillium cheesemaking strains) to not-so-severe, but must be avoided (peanut, gluten, seasonal oral allergy syndrome). I'm also allergic to natural rubber latex and must avoid some cross-reaction risks (avocado, banana) to varying extremes. I have a lot of herb allergies that I don't count as severe since they're so easy to avoid, but they range from anaphylactic (lavender,echinacea, chamomile, rose hips) to mildly annoying (hibiscus). I'm contact reactive for all my allergens, food and environmental.

When you get more folks, a quick glossary might be useful. Food allergy sites tend to acquire quite a few acronyms: PA, TNA, FA, EA, NRLA, GF, GFCF, OAS, etc. If a number of parents join, you end up with DH, DW, DD, DS, etc. ;)

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:58 pm 

Hi. I'm AnnaMarie and I'm from Toronto.

I have adult onset allergies to sesame seeds (anaphylactic) and peanuts (severe reactions - may now be anaphylactic).

One of my sons has allergies to penicillin (mold) and latex. Another to penicillin and sulfa base antibiotics. And the youngest is allergic to insect bites/stings. He has never had penicillin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:23 am 

Heh. I'm less a fan of the DD DH DS, etc ... variety of acronyms. They seem a bit sarccharine to me. But I fully understand the need to have acronyms for allergies. It can get tiring to type all of that out!

Post subject: Howdy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:02 pm 

Hi everybody, I'm dottie parker. I'm not allergic to much per se--except for seasonal allergies--but I appreciate the food intolerances category. I have trouble processing onions, which seem to be used as a filler in more things than I can count. I miss being able to eat onion rings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:45 pm 

Audra, I don't care for the DH variety, either, unless DH is referring to dermatitis herpetiformis. ;)

I hang out on other allergy boards and most of them are frequented by parents and they tend to use those terms, for some reason, which is why I mentioned 'em. I've decided that instead of a saccharine "dear" or "darling", the D actually stands for darn, danged, diabolical, devious, etc.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:56 pm 

Hi. My name is Cheryl and I live in West Allis, Wisconsin (just southwest of MIlwaukee)

My food allergies include all tree nuts, peanuts, bananas, avocado, kiwi, all seafood and all shellfish. Seafood and shellfish cause reactions if I am just in an area where they are cooking.

I am also allergic to cats, dogs, most other furry animals, dust, molds and many tree and grass pollens.

My most worrisome allergy is to natural rubber latex. I do work in the medical field in a hospital laboratory, but my employer has been great about keeping most rubber out of the lab. Since I work the night shift, I am not around when things are really busy so I can avoid most of the "stirred up" dust, etc. I get there after housekeeping has done the major cleaning so that helps too.

I look forward to reading and sharing info in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:35 pm 

Welcome! That work situation sounds really tricky.

Post subject: hello!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:36 pm 

Hello all

My name is Shannon

My allergies is to fowl (chicken is the big one) and fish (tuna). The reactions are anaphylactic and oh-so-very hard to keep at bay ... inhalation can trigger the chicken allergy, which makes it hard to stay away from in my school, since my school if full of massage therapist and they NEED their precious chicken! :? ohwell, keeps me on my toes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:20 pm 

Heh. Is there a connection between massage therapists and poultry? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:59 am 

Not exactly a massage therapist - but I know that when my neice became a personal trainer she really increased the amount of chicken she eats - because she was lowering the amount of red meats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:08 am 

exactly! they are big on the protein .... and also the hospital cafeteria (attached to our school) has so many chicken dishes to choose from!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:28 am 

Hi there,

I'm Stella and I'm allergic to peanuts, soy, penicillin, ragweed, other pollens.

Soy is the real pain because it's in everything these days. Look forward to chatting with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:17 pm 

Nice to meet you!