You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Perfume allergies
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:59 am 

Hi. My name is Roberta. I have some food intolerances but my main problems come from chemical allergies. Perfumes, gas fumes, smoke, etc. My reactions can vary from a rash all the way to a seizure-type reaction. I take my oxygen tank with me. It is hard to go many places and finding a job is very difficult.

I look forward to receiving the magazine and learning more about all kinds of allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:30 pm 

Hi. I am a mother of four and my youngest (age 3.5) is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. I am especially interested in travelling and dining out tips as this makes me very nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:50 pm 

Hello

I have allergies to all fish (shellfish has yet to be determined), peanuts, and tree nuts.
My fish reaction is also triggered from someone cleaning or cooking fish near me.

I am also allergic to dust, dogs, cats, horses, pollens etc.

I have an 8yr old with allergies to all dairy, egg and nuts. Also, pollens, dogs, dust etc.

I was thrilled to see this new website and magazine!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:44 pm 

Hi my name is Filo, I live in Toronto and have an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed with severe allergies to nuts and shellfish 4 years ago. I am interested in talking to other parents of allergic children and sharing information about coping in safe and positive ways - not letting the allergy define who he is. He always carries a medic-alert bracelet and an epipen but thankfully has not experienced a life threatening reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:03 pm 

Hi! I'm Terri, proud mommy to an 8 month old and almost 4 year old. My 4 year old has peanut and tree nut allergies.

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have lots of food allergies, environmental allergies (pollen, moulds, dust), allergies to various animals, to cigarette smoke, etc. The food allergies are what I really have to worry about---There are a number of them.

I'm looking forward to reading about all of your experiences.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 am 

Hi! My name is Patrick. I'm 30. I'm allergic to Peanuts and nuts. Those are the one that can kill me.

Other than that, I'm allergic or have intolerance to wasp stings, isola of soya protein, pollen, lots of raw fruit and vegetables, cats, dogs, mineral wool, tetracycline... That's what I can think of right now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have asthma too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:46 pm 

HI I'm Tima,

My son is allergic to peanut/nuts. We discovered this when he was 2 years old. He was underweight and the doctor & dietician recommended we give him Peanut butter on toast. I was afraid to try as I had heard the longer you wait to expose your children to highly allegic foods the better. Dr. figured since there were no allergies that run in the family our son should been fine. Well, they were wrong. After just one bite of the toast with peanut butter, within 15 minutes he had swollen lips and watery eyes. We're thankful the reaction wasn't much worse than that and he didn't have to have an epi-pen injection.
Our world changed after that though. We cleared our home of all allergens, had to educate our friends and family. We're still educating some of our family members. We believe in the motto we've heard before, Allergen aware, Allergen safe. Our son is very well aware of his allergy, and if we (parents) aren't there he is sure to remind the adults of his allergy before he eats anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:01 pm 

Hi everyone. My name is Barb. I have a life threatening allergy to tree nuts and less drastic allergies to peanuts, shellfish, cinnamon, yeast and corn. Lots of environmental allergies - dust, pollen, molds, animals etc. - if it floats in the air I seem to be allergic to it. I also have brittle asthma and a primary immune deficiency. Still trying to figure out how someone can have too much immune system and too little immune system as the same time. This site is great.
Barb

Post subject: Living Internationally
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:24 am 

Hi Everyone,

I'm Michelyne, Canadian mom to a 9 year old boy with a fatal allergy to peanuts, walnuts and hazelnuts and who also has asthma. My husband and I teach internationally, and had our son when we lived in Hong Kong. We lived there for 6 years and when we found out about our son's allergy when he was 8 months we made plans to leave South East Asia (it just wasn't safe considering the high usage of nut products in everything). We then moved to Ankara, Turkey for 5 years, and have most recently spent the last three years living in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Life is certainly more difficult travelling with a son with brutal allergies, and we only fly British Airways at the moment because of their no peanut snack policy. I can offer support and advice on how to do things safely when travelling internationally.....and might also need help from others who travel internationally.

Cheers.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:36 pm 

Hi Everyone :D ,
This is a great site!
I have adult onset allergies (anaphylactic) to sesame, sunflower, and pinenuts (which I have learned is actually a seed). I have been trying to find out if these three seeds are some how related to each other or not. Does anyone have a good resource to find out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:15 am 

Hi, I'm allergic to sesame seeds and i was told they are not related to anything. I've never tried pinenuts, but I do use sunflower oil with no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi! I'm a mother to a 3 1/2 year old who is alergic to milk and eggs. She also has asthma.
Sesame seed and sunflower seeds are part of the Aster family as are chamomile, chicory, dandelion, endive, head and leaf lettuces and ragweed. (no mention of pinenuts)
According to the Food Allergy Field Guide by Theresa Willingham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:08 pm 

Thanks, Susan--I didn't know that before. Maybe the major ragweed and sesame seed allergy explains why chicory is out for me--I'm not sure, but I think I have a problem with sunflower oil too.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:25 pm 

Hi I joined the site today.
I have anaphylaixis to Shellfish, fish,peanuts, the fish ones are a inhalantant allergy they are that severe. Anaphylaixis to sulphites and nitrates.
I am also allergic to nuts,bannas, cherries, corn, penicillin, sulpha drugs, claritromycin and ,enviromental allergies, chemical allergies,asthma and the usual pollen allergies and molds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next