You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Intro...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:22 am 

Hi all...my name is Allan, I'm a teacher raising three wonderful boys (why do I feel like I'm writing a personal ad?!?!?!?) My eldest, Jonathan, 11, is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, sesame and has asthma. My middle, Michael, 9, is lactose intolerant and my youngest, Brian, 7 is only allergic to penicillin (which I found out the hard way!!!). We are also strictly kosher, which makes grocery shopping an interesting adventure<g>. Jonathan has carried an Epi since he was 4, and Michael was only taken off the "allergic to nuts/carries an Epi" list last year, thanks to a thorough RAST test (but I still keep him away from nuts -- I'm not convinced as to the reliability of the RAST/skin tests).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:17 pm 

nice to meet you!

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:12 pm 

Hi there,
My name is Erin and I am 33 year old mom to Brandon(4). Brandon is severely allergic to Eggs and all egg product, has asthma and eczema. He also cannot tolerate Red Dye #2 and #40. It turns him into what I like to call the "Jeckyl/Hyde Syndrome". OUT OF CONTROL!!! He was diagnosed with a severe egg allergy and asthma at approx 10 months of age. His big sister Brittany (11) is completely allergy and asthma free. Lucky girl. I have OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome) and am anaphalytic to most fresh raw fruits with the exception of citrus. Only problem is that when you eat too much citrus, you get canker sores!!! I am also ana to tree nuts, penicillin and cephalosporins. I also have asthma and some psoriasis. My allergies surfaced when I was pregnant with Brandon, so it really makes me wonder if somehow, something happened to make him become allergic to foods as well..................... :?:
Anyway, It is good to meet others who may have similar situations that they deal with and I look forward to getting to know you all!
Erin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:30 pm 

Hi everyone!
My name is Kelley. I am a teacher on a leave of absence trying to get a grip on life with asthma, anaphylaxis and seizures. My youngest (3 yr.), Ben has the food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts and eggs), severely allergic to cats, eczema and asthma too. My oldest (almost 6 yr.), Cole has seizures at night in his sleep (very unpredictable and irregular).

My husband was allergic to eggs as a child and outgrew asthma. I had bronchitis as a child, and so far so good.

Allan is right this feels like a personal ad.

What else can I say, I have been overeducating myself these past few years and especially recently with respect to anaphylaxis as Ben is to start school in the fall. I am a little stressed about that one, but have a meeting with the principal and teacher in June to discuss an action plan and safety precautions. The school is currently supposed to be peanut/nut free, but I have come across a few snacks that weren't screened by the parents properly.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to reading more on this site and sharing information with everyone.

A question - has anyone else experienced side effects with Flovent, especially aggressiveness, tantrums or other behaviour changes with respect to children? Ben becomes a very difficult child after being on this inhaler after 5-6 days.

Thanks for any info about this.