You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:33 am 

Help!!! My 15 mo old son is allergic to milk, eggs, wheat, soy, corn and peanuts. Results of allergy test are class 5 for milk, eggs, peanuts and wheat; class 3 for soy and class 2 for corn...he doesn't eat solids; only rice cereal, a little jar food and rice milk;

Rice milk doesn't have nearly the nutritional value found in toddler formula--he had severe allergic reactions to nutrimegen and elecare; I suspect it was corn because the primary ingredient is corn syrup solids. His allergist was floored when we told him how he reacted to the elecare.

I'm adding flax to his rice milk to increase fat; he's STILL reacting bad--don't know if it's flax or some ingredient in the rice drink i.e. canola oil or safflower oil. He's not getting the protein or the calories either from the rice drink. My wife and I are stymied. His face looks terrible--very dry, cracking, bleeding and oozing. We're looking at a a rice-based formula called Ultracare by Metagenics.

Anyone with history on this and how to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:07 pm 

Hi there -

I'm glad you've found us. Sounds like you have some serious issues on your hands... It's so challenging when the supposedly hypo-allergenic formula contains your child's allergen. :(

We had semi-similar issues with my youngest (horrible eczema, allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, nuts, wheat), but corn is a real challenge and I do not have experience with that. I have sent you a private message (PM) with some additional info - if you don't get it let me know.

There are people with corn allergies posting quite frequently here - and I have just created a new forum for those dealing with this very challenging allergy at http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45 . You might find some good advice if you also post there.

Good luck, and I hope we can find you some help. We definitely can offer moral support.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:17 pm 

The only other thing I can think of for him to drink would be to make your own beverage from hemp. http://nutiva.com/nutrition/recipes/milk.php Hemp is extremely healthy, and full of protein and essential fats.

Here's a link to more nutritional info on hemp

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Br ... nformation

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:42 am 

My daughter has similar allergies--wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts--also corn, but not so severe, and she is sensitive to soy (so no soy milk). Although she was not allergic to rice, she couldn't drink rice milk either, it just caused a terrible bleeding diaper rash. I finally took her off completely and gave her TUMS (fruit flavored, regular stregth) at the reccommendation of my pediatrician for calcium. Also, when I was brave enough to try citrus, she did just fine with OJ and could drink the Kids version fortified with vitamins commonly found in milk.

Amazingly, we have found a blessing in disguise through this. We were fearful about feeding her anything as she kept having scary reactions, even after allergy testing we were wary. It was probably around 15 months and some encouragement from another mom in a similar situation, that I decided to just feed her whatever I could that the allergy report didn't show a reaction with. That included almost all kinds of veggies (she can actually have corn in small amounts) and all fruits. I was allergic to citrus fruits as a child, but she's just fine with them.

Now she eats baked chicken, fish, and lots and lots of veggies. Fruit as a snack. She's so healthy, she doesn't have gas and other problems that a lot of her peers have. So, my encouragement is to feed whatever you can. If your child didn't show an allergy during testing, then assume he can have it. Give it to him fresh; I don't remember why (sorry), but my pediatrician said to avoid the jarred food b/c that was probably why I was still having problems. Fresh did seem to work much better--a lot less problems after that.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:03 pm 

What about trying to find a dietician or nutritionist who specializes in allergy? Perhaps your allergist could suggest someone.