You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New and feel hopeless
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 pm 

Hello. I'm new to this forum, but not to food allergies. I was diagnosed with milk allergy in my early twenties after several trips to the emergency room when my throat swelled upa nd I could barely breath after eating at Pizza Hut. I suffer from hives, asthma, and eczema. I was diagnosed with an egg allergy a year ago after suffering symptoms after giving birth to my first (and only) son. He is almost 2 now and is allergic to milk and soy and eats only wheat of the top eight so far. We are delaying introduction for another year at least since he also suffers from GERD.
I am now suffering from new allergic symptoms. I don't know if milk and eggs is creeping in somewhere that I don't realize, or if I developed a new allergy. I see the pulmonologist tomorrow, which my regular doctors office says they can do testing. I've only had RAST tests in the past bcause of my skin problems (I also have keratosis pilaris). I did realize that the advair the family doctor gave me samples of made me sick. It contains milk proteins! I broke out in hives, had a bad asthma attack, and barfed my guts out after using the inhaler. It was aweful! I didn't realize so many medications have milk in them! Like zyrtec and pepcid complete. Ihad to stop taking those too, and my asthma has improved. Can you believe it? My asthma improved from stopping the meds that were supposed to make me better. They should put food alelrgy warning labels on medications.
Anyway, nice to meet you all. I just want to talk to others who have similar problems.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:10 pm 

Most medications do have some food products. And I've seen one that actually has a warning.

The pharmacist should be able to get information for you. When you get a prescription, before getting it filled ask him/her to check. If you always use the same pharmacist, maybe they'll even keep an eye out for what meds contain your allergens.

Welcome to the board. Lot's of helpful people here.