You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:39 am 

Hi ...I've developed anaphylaxis I'm in my late 30's...I almost died in Walmart :lol: which was the first one ever..taken to hospital in an ambulance...they told me it was a close call...of all places; WALMART :lol: I'm trying to keep a sense of humour about all this but truly it scares me to death! They couldn't even tell me what it's caused from..I've been tested for tons of food, enviromental, pets...etc..nothing showed up...I had a couple less life threatening ones then another ambulance one again about 6months after the first...I physically took all the foods that I had ate that day to the allergist and he did the poke thing and actually put all those foods directly on the pokes...turns out white processed bread of any kind could put me 6ft under...also processed meat.....he told me since I wasn't allergic to all the food tests he had given me prior like wheat, nuts....he thinks it's the chemicals they use in the food..anyone else out there have this due to food chemicals and not actually any food??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:40 pm 

My youngest daughter has issues with chemicals. She eats mostly organic and from lots of foods from scratch. It's never been anaphylactic (yet) but has involved hives and swelling on her face. Did your doctor narrow down what the chemicals are you are reacting to?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

First, sorry to hear you're going through this, sounds very difficult. Hope we can offer some useful hints.

First, is this an actual allergist conducting the tests? e.g. not a gp or naturopath?

The verdict of "chemicals" causing the allergies doesn't sound terribly enlightening – e.g. can he/she tell you which chemical additives are a problem? The most common additive problem is sulphites. (Read this article in our archives: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=28)

Are there further tests, perhaps with foods that only have one of the suspect chemicals, that can be done to help determine which chemicals to avoid?

The problem with testing white bread with additives is that there could be several additives. How will you know which to avoid, which are ok? It's too complicated; you can really only test for one allergen at a time.

Also, some problematic additives are corn-based. Since there's a fair bit of corn allergy today. Were you tested for corn?