Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I'm new
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:33 pm 

Hi

My name is Christine and I am 39 years old and think I may have developed an allergy at this age.

The things that have happened to me so far are: numb lips, numb tongue, itchy face and body and sore throat. It happened after eating. However, I thought it may be sesame but today, it happened with a cup of coffee with sugar and cream.

A visit to my doctor yesterday was frustrating. He said I may have a virus and if I still have symptoms in a week to go back to have allergy testing.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks for your help
Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Christine,

Welcome. The symptoms you describe sound like they could be allergy - sesame is certainly a known allergen, one of the top 10 in Canada.

One of the hardest things to figure out sometimes, though, is what you might be reacting to. For it to be allergy, coffee is unlikely. Sugar, ditto. The milk might be suspect (dairy can be a big allergy trigger) but adult-onset dairy allergy is not common. (More usual is lactose intolerance, not an allergy as such, but different symptoms.) Do you know if milk might it have contained soy, a common allergen?

If I were you, I'd ask for a referral to an allergist for skin testing, but know that the better history you can provide for an allergist, the better able that person is to try to detect whether your symptoms are allergy, and what you might be allergic to.
-
For instance, have you been sick to your stomach on a food containing sesame (before this latest episode)? Be aware that if the coffee you drank was from a coffee shop, there is the possibility of cross-contamination from pastries (contain nuts, sesame..). The coffee example would be really tough to figure out.

When I was trying to figure out my adult onset allergies, the advice was:
- write down what causes you to react (symptoms such as: upset stomach or hives, numbness in the mouth);
-"keep the food uncomplicated" - the more ingredients you have in a dish, the harder it is to figure what's causing you trouble.

And, possibly it isn't allergy. But determining allergy is a process. (Unless someone anaphylaxes to something obvious, such as peanut.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

It also occurs to me to mention - take a look at our FAQs on this site.
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=27

That will give you a few food allergy basics when considering your own symptoms. The information was reviewed by Dr. Susan Waserman, a Canadian allergist.

Hope you get to figure it out soon - sounds worrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:25 am 

Thank you for the information. I will start writing down what I eat so that when I do go to an allergist, we have something to work with.
My dog is allergic to wheat and a few other things so I had to put her on a raw food diet.

Christine