Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Here
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:47 am 

Hi,

I'm new here, though not a new reader of the Allergic Living Magazine. I found this site while looking for something else (isn't it always that way?).

My poor MedicAlert card is so full of medical issues that there is literally no more room to list anything. :roll: Part of the problem is that I have multiple environmental allergies (indoors and out), allergy to latex, drug allergies, some food allergies, oral allergy syndrome, and some food to which I have intolerances. I've had a blood test for celiac disease, which came back negative. However, since I don't generally have a high gluten diet in the first place, well that test is probably not accurate - I'll ask for a biopsy the next time that I am scoped for my hiatal hernia and GI reflux. Another reason why the test may be inaccurate is that I have a serious immune deficiency for which I am receiving monthly doses of IVIG (intravenous immunglobulin).

My allergist suggested that I modify my diet to take out gluten entirely since I really react to oats, and have milder reactions to rye, wheat, and corn. I also have a pre-existing problem with lactose intolerance.

In any case, I am hoping to find some more info here so I can better deal with my allergies, and maybe some support too.

Talk to you all later... :D

"That's just not right." - Sheriff Jack Carter, Eureka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Glad you found us Connie!
Check out our many forums, I'm sure you'll find others here who understand and have "been there and tried that".
You might find a new product which you hadn't thought you could have or a recipe for something you might want to eat.
Welcome.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:47 pm 

I am extremely allergic to corn but I have also had to take all grains from the grass family out of my diet (including oats, barley, wheat, rye, sugar cane, etc.). I am doing really well using only buckwheat flour (a member of the rhubarb family) and quinoa. Avoiding corn has to be the most difficult of all since it is used in almost every processed food. See the many posts under corn allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:32 pm 

P.S. If you are allergic to corn then you are most likely reacting to dairy products because of the corn in it. I have had to remove all dairy from my diet. Cow's milk is fortified with vitamins which are in a corn oil carrier. Look at any label on a dairy product and you will see a corn derivative listed. I am only able to use unfortified goat's milk and unfortified/unsweetened/unflavoured organic soy milk. It took me years to figure out why I was reacting to milk when I never used to. Unfortunately, the corn oil vitamin carrier is not listed on the label. I also do fine with imported Italian parmesan which lists only milk, salt and rennet on the label.