You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:59 pm 

Hello, I am new here and I am looking for some support. I have a 2 year old son who is allergic to milk, eggs, beef, legumes, soya and wheat. I don't know what else to do. I am trying to introduce new foods but he is a very picky eater. I am worried and need some encouraging words and most importantly guidance as to how to deal with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Hi, I know the feeling about trying to introduce new foods only too well. Check out our parenting forum for more ideas and other issues you may be facing. You might have a solution to another issue!

Fruits and vegetables will likely be tolerated but if he is a picky eater and if he remembers a severe reaction he may not want to try. Some say that we naturally avoid foods which we may be allergic to so it is hard to strongly encourage

Most child experts I have heard, say that you need to have the food around and when it becomes familiar (about a week) he might try it. If you introduce a food and just have it available on the table and he sees everyone else enjoying it, he may eventually want to try.

All this being said I try hard to not allow food to become a huge issue. It does not equate with love or control, it simply is food, sometimes a chore, sometimes a delight, an imaginative expression or the plodding typical fare. Somedays I have to say, "This is what is being served, eat what you can." (there is plenty she can eat as we eat the same meal-but she can pick out the red peppers and onions) .

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:24 am 

Welcome!

I have a 1 year old who is allergic to milk, eggs, wheat and barley... I really don't like introducing new foods, as it is a huge stress for me, but I try to add something new each week, because she gets "bored" eating the same things over and over again... She's too young to remember allergic reactions, so that is not an issue for me.

Good luck, and as Susan said, go to the Parenting forum, you're not alone!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:19 pm 

My youngest ate a lot of vegetables when she was that age. Sweet potaotoes, turnip, rutabega, squash, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers etc. etc.. At the time, it was easy and we knew she was okay with it. It just so happened to really develop her love of veggies. She is picky...but she'll eat a whole plate full of veggies each meal. Really, a blessing in disguise. I totally plan on feeding my next kid (I'm 29 weeks pregnant) in a similar manner when he'she is that age.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.