You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:20 pm 

Hi, all! I'm so glad to have found you! My son was recently diagnosed as having a severe peanut/nut allergy. (His RAST was 31.4 for peanuts.) We're still shocked and sad, and finding a lot of reassurance from support like I hope to find here.

Anyone else dealing with peanut/nut allergies and kids?

Thanks!

Jocelyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter added peanuts and tre nuts to her list of allergens last fall.
If you are looking at issues related to families and children check out our parenting board. If your interests lay more with peanuts and tree nuts, take a look at our peanut and tree nut board.
In any case, check out our recipes-you never know, there might be something there you can use. Feel free to post anything that you find works for you too.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:26 am 

Welcome to the forum. You will definitely find support here. You are not alone, as you will see by looking through the various forums. Hopefully you will find some good coping strategies there as well.

Take it one day at a time, and start small - like by making your immediate environment safe for your little guy. Try not to think about the big picture too much if it overwhelms you. Living with food allergies is completely do-able, but it does take time to ramp up and get used to this "alternative lifestyle."

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:29 am 

Welcome,

My daughter was diagnosed at 3 months (while she was breastfeeding) with food allergies, and the diagnosis was confirmed at 9 months for dairy, eggs, wheat and barley. She has not been tested for peanuts/nuts, fish and seafood, but for now we act like she is allergic to those as well as a precaution.

It took us a good 6 months of ups and downs after our first diagnosis to feel comfortable on a day to day basis dealing with a little one with allergies. Finding a good daycare, reading labels, finding new recipes, the whole shebang... but it does get easier, and you'll be able to relax a little as time goes by.

Good luck!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...