You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:57 pm 

Hi there,
In Oct 2007, I had allergy testing done for the very first time.
I have been itching all over since I came back from a trip to Europe over the summer, this was my only symptom.
The allergy testing showed that i was allergic to most weeds, grasses, trees, SD Mite mix, and mold...
but most surprising was my allergies to food.
I found out I am allergic to corn, soy, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, hazelnuts, green peas, cantaloupe, and carrots.
For a couple months, I was in denial, and still ate the offending foods, and still itched. I thought that that was the worst that could happen.
A couple weeks ago, I was in starbucks, eating a chocolate chip cookie (still in denial) and all of a sudden had a feeling of my mouth tingling, and my whole body went warm. I had never felt like that before, and had someone there immediately call 911. The ambulance came and took all my vitals..and everything was perfect..my blood pressure even a tiny bit high. They said it was an anxiety attack. I have had one other since then...with minor anxiety in between...but...
I noticed when I eat certain food, or most food, which I thought was safe, I still get the mouth tingling, and now the lips, and even a lump in my throat. I am soo afraid its going to be an anaphalactic attack.
I called my allergist on Friday, and she was surprised I didnt have an epi pen (go figure) and scheduled me to come back in for more testing.
I have been trying to be pro-active..but every website I find gets worse and worse. Even some toilet paper has corn in it...
I am very scared about all of this.
Please help me!!!
Thank you so much!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, welcome, I guess, to our world and – breathe.

OK, you gotta learn the allergy rules. And they're not really as onerous as you might think at first blush. Mostly they'll affect eating out.

A starting place: don't eat cookies or other desserts out. You have no way of knowing what's in them. Become a reader of label ingredients, it makes you a little slower in the grocery store, but you'll avoid foods that make you sick and start eating healthier to boot.

Second - there are false positives on some allergy tests. With some of these foods that tested positive, did you used to eat them with no symptoms? If that's so, I'd want to go back to the allergist and get an oral challenge (they give you a teensy bit of the offending food to see if you can tolerate, then a wee bit more if ok). Ask about it. This is considered the gold standard for knowing if you're allergic or not to a particular food.

Third - if you really have to rule out corn, sorry to hear it. That's in a lot of things. As is soy, one of my many allergens. If you do followup testing and your allergist is sure you've got to avoid all these foods, I'd get an appointment with a dietitian. (Check out the dietitians of Canada website). They're great at coming up with substitutes.

Oh and I should mention our magazine - Allergic Living has great, safe recipes. You can see some of them, and some of our articles in the Archives (see red bar on the homepage).

Post subject: Thank you so much!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:41 pm 

Thank you for your reply.
I have become an avid reader of labels, that is for sure. And of spotting hidden ingredients. Corn goes by so many other names and is in so many other things, such as salt and toothpaste. I just want to trader Joes and the toothpaste, shampoo, etc has glycerin and citric acid, which I read have corn in them.
Up until now, I haven't had a severe reaction to anything...that I know of..just the once at Starbucks and I should mention the second time after eating a cheeseburger. But they still may be anxiety.
I have read by some that you even have to be careful of fresh vegetables, because they may be powdered with corn starch. This is all very overwelming, and is probably causing me more anxiety.
But you are right. I do have an appointment with my allergist this week, so will definitely talk to them about the oral test.
I did see a nutritionist at the university I go to...she said it is highly unlikely that I would have an anaphalactic shock, because I have never had one before, and I got these allergies later in life...who knows. So many different opinions..ugh!!!
Thank you again.
I'd love any more advice. It helps to calm the nerves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:34 am 

I too was diagnosed with food allergies after being overseas for some time :) And one of mine is corn. My allergist tested me with actual corn and not just a chemical sample and I had a definite reaction. But he is very big on 'if it doesn't bother you, keep eating it.' I have found for me that corn, popcorn, corn oil, corn starch and corn flour cause reactions, but I am okay with citric acid, and am okay with small amounts of baking powder in some baked goods (although sometimes if I am less diligent about checking labels, I pay for it later). So for me, I do thankfully have a bot of latitude with stuff like citric acid, but I have to be careful with other things. Toilet paper is fine because the contact with it is so brief, but I have found that switching to reusable feminine hygiene products made my period a lot more comfortable because that stuff sits up against your skin for long stretches and I was having difficulties.

I found it really helpful to invest in a thermos and some good containers so I can take nice lunches with me. I would feel deprived if all I had was a smushed up sandwich in a ziploc bag! Having it look nice really helps. Also, I keep certain things on-hand all the time for quick meals: rice, cooked beans frozen in individual servings, noodles, frozen vegetables etc. can be used to make pasta or soup in a hurry

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:39 am 

Quote:
did see a nutritionist at the university I go to...she said it is highly unlikely that I would have an anaphalactic shock, because I have never had one before, and I got these allergies later in life..

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to comment on what the nutritionist told you. I would ignore what she said, myself. It is not highly unlikely that you would have an anaphylactic reaction just because you have never had one before and because you developed your allergies later in life. Those two factors have nothing to do with whether you now have food allergies and are now at risk of severe reactions. No one knows why people develop severe allergies later in life, but they do.

You will find support and info here (well, you already have!). It's great that you are trying to figure out exactly what is going on and what exactly you are allergic to.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:14 pm 

I'm so sorry that one of your allergies has to be corn. It's definately a tough one! I've been living with severe corn allergy since infancy (corn syrup added to my home-made formula was what set me off). There are hundreds of different levels of sensitivity to corn...and yes...many of us DO react to the corn on some toilet paper. For myself, I find that the more expensive the toilet paper, the more corn there is. My reactions are mostly skin and eyes related so I have a "visual indicator" that will continue to get worse if I don't stop whatever it is that is causing it.

Be prepared to cook everything from scratch. I don't trust any pre-made foods even if they look safe, since corn derivatives are often used as processing aids and aren't listed. Frozen fruit and vegetables can be dusted with undeclared corn starch and/or citric/ascorbic acids can be used in the processing to keep the texture and colour of the produce fresh. Corn is not one of the top 8/10 allergens and therefore it (and its derivatives) can be used freely without any concern for people with this allergy.

I'm sure that you have by now found most of the resources on the internet for corn allergy. It's overwhelming and scary. I still worry every time I eat something unless it comes out of my own garden or if it is something that I have grown to trust over the years.

If you need any help with this, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 pm 

Quote:
I did see a nutritionist at the university I go to...she said it is highly unlikely that I would have an anaphalactic shock, because I have never had one before, and I got these allergies .

My daughter is highly allergic to milk and has never had a reaction bad enough to call 911. But each time she gets exposed her reactions are worse. People think its nothing much until the see her gasping for breath, and hives all over her. I am allergic to a ton of things and my list unfortunatly seems to be growing. I have to shop for food at healthfood stores and eat organic. :roll: I feel much better and I am sure i am healthier too.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject: Caution
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:18 am 

Cooking from scratch is definitely the safest way to go! I gave up on eating out because no matter how clear, polite, and simple my requests were, I ALWAYS got sick after eating out. Cooking at home is incredibly time - consuming, so thank God for the dishwasher!!

I didn't have any problems with the food portion of my allergies until after becoming a parent. With each succeding exposure to certain allergens, the reactions became more severe. I now carry a vial of epinephrine and several syringes in my purse. I hate the baggage... but when the hives become more than i can bear or when I have trouble breathing, the injections could mean the difference between life and death.

Your immune system isn't always predictable. Well - meaning people will offer you all sorts of advice, but in the end, it pays to err on the side of caution. It's been 2 years since I was diagnosed, and I still feel overwhelmed at times... But I've been learning to cope, and in the long-run, lead a much healthier lifestyle! Hang in there!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:21 am 

I gave up cookies and cake and sweets long time ago.
I'm allergic to chocolate, peanuts, palm oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, barley, oranges, red apples... Palm and coconut makes it hard to find shampoos, body washes, face washes, to use safely. I'm allergic to clothing like wool, cashmere, rayon... terrible!!! I have anxiety cause i'm scared, but when i feel hot, or chills, or throat scratching, or breathing problem, or lump in throat, that is for real... it usually goes away by itself cause our body is a strong system, but we need to be prepared. You r not alone, i'm scared too, not of foods only, but of cosmetics too. My throat swells up from mascara and other makeup, thats terrible!!! Such a hard time finding hair conditioner i'm allergic to silicone too!!! Cant have spicy foods or spices at all! I'm allergic to all natural cosmetics!!! and to artificial!!
Not complaining, just saying!
I shop for food at whole foods store, its nice and easy to check ingredients cause the lists are short!