You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:58 pm 

I am looking for advice from parents of kids with sesame seeds and tree nut allergies. My daugther is 6 1/2 and we've known she's been allergic since she was 1. We just switched allergists and while we really are much more comfortable with the approach of her new doctor, he isn't even that familiar with sesame seed allergies. Our biggest challenge seems to be finding breads she can eat. With the exception of a German Rye and Wheat bread we buy, everything else seems to list possible traces of sesame seeds and tree nuts. Even hotdog and hamburger buns have traces of sesame seeds!
I've found one bakery in Toronto that is sesame seed/nut free for hot dog buns, bagels, etc. But was wondering if anyone else has advice about baguettes, etc. Basically I would love to just compare notes with someone else who has a child with similar allergies!

Thanks!

Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 am 

Hi Kim,

Just wondering if you have a bread machine. I have mostly made breads with mine, but have also experimented with foccacia bread (sp?), pizza dough and buns. It has a dough setting, so once the dough is mixed, I can take it out and shape into whatever I want. This is the only way I can have fancy breads that are usually found in bakeries. Good luck with your quest.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:22 am 

Hi Kim,

My daughter is also allergic to sesame, peanut and tree nuts.
Dempsters make brown and white bread called Soft Slice, Thick Slice. I purchase them @ Wal-mart and Costco. I have noticed the same bread at grocery stores and different Wal-mart locations but the label on it says "may contain traces of sesame". I called Dempsters to inquire why there were 2 different ingredient labels and and they said they only remove the "may contain" statement if they are sure it is safe. I know Dempsters has another bread as well in their line, but can't remember the name. I have also found No-name english muffins that are safe as well. Still no luck with hotdog or hamburg buns or bagels.
gillysmom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kim,

Welcome. We've got enough people here with sesame allergic kids that there's even a separate thread for it. And bread, is quite a hot topic. You can find it by scrolling down to where individual allergies are shown as topic sections, or just go here:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38

Hope you find the forum helpful! Gwen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:45 pm 

kgerson wrote:
I've found one bakery in Toronto that is sesame seed/nut free for hot dog buns, bagels, etc.

Where is this bakery?

I stick with the Dimpflemeir breads, and some Dempster's. I bake all my own hotdog and hamburger buns. I think there's a bakery out in Newmarket that is peanut/nut/sesame free and does some buns. If I can find a link, I'll post it here.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:47 pm 

Thanks to all of you for your great feedback. I will look into a bread machine AND have checked out the sesame-specific forum. It's hard to remain calm at times when you read these things because I find my mind starts to race forward to when she leaves home and is on her own without me to monitor her every bite. But I guess that's our role as parents, to educate them now on how vigilant they need to be everyday. May they find a cure soon and in the meantime, I hope more food manufacturers start to "get it". Word of mouth from others who have been there is wonderful!

Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:45 pm 

Hi kgerson, and welcome! We are dealing with sesame, tree nut (and others). Since you've already read the sesame section of the forum, you will have read about the journey in dealing with sesame... it's a tough one, isn't it? For bread, the breadmaker is my best friend - it was suggested to me by people on this forum, and it has been great! At first I felt overwhelmed about making bread all the time, but now it's not such a big deal - we've made it part of our routine. Our son used to have small reactions every now and then when I was unknowingly serving him "may contain" sesame breads :shock: We always have back-up safe breads/pitas/crackers/tortillas in the house if I've run out of fresh bread, so that really helps. Safe bread has been the biggest adjustment in dealing with sesame allergy, but with a bread maker, you never have to worry. And it's pretty nice having fresh bread all the time!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:42 pm 

My daughter is 4 and she is allergic to peanuts/some tree nuts and sesame seeds. Before she was diagnosed (at age 3), she was eating Country Harvest Seven Grain bread. It says on the ingredients list that it may contain traces of sesame seeds. We have continued to buy this bread for her since she has never had any reaction to it. I am hesitant and afraid of trying any other brands of bread at this point since I don't know how she will react to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:12 pm 

Dempster's breads label if it may contain, and they have a few breads that are safe for peanut/nut/sesame allergies. Dimflemeir doesn't have any sesame or peanuts -- I'm not positive about nuts though, you'd have to check.

I can understand why you would continue using a bread that has not caused a problem, but I strongly urge you to find one without that warning. When a label says it *may contain*, it literally means it might or it might not. I do react severely to even trace amounts.