Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: first time
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:14 pm 

Hi Everyone;
My name is Cindy, I live in Dawson Creek B.C. My Daughter Aleshia is now 14 years old and was diagnosed with her severe peanut allergy when she was 8 months old but I did not realize the severity of it until her first anaphalactic reaction at age 2 years.
I have very little support where I live so was thrilled to find this forum.
Aleshia also has enviromental allergies, and allergies to some animals such as cats.She also has asthma and exczema.
I also have a 2 year old and do not know yet if she has any allergies, but she lives like she does because of her sister.
I am looking forward to the support of talking to other people who understand the daily struggle and the fear we live with everyday.
The teen years are proving to be very difficult on Aleshia, it is hard to deal with as a mom. She just wants to fit in and be like the others kids.
She wears gloves to school to avoid a contact reaction, eats in a separate room with safe friends, and has her desk wiped down in each room with bleach wipes, has her own water cooler and her own bathroom. She carries her epi-pen in a purse that is with her at all times. She is always scared of dying when she goes to school, how does a mother comfort those fears ????? I always try to get her to focus on the positive things in her life, but she is at the age where her self-esteem is taking a beating anyway. I get so frustrated and scared for her. It is hard to know what to do.
Anyway I better go I could go on for hours. We have been dealing with a lot of tears and fear because the new school year at a new high school is about to start.
Thanks for letting me vent, Aleshiasmom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm so glad that you found this forum!
As far as I'm concerned, the more people looking at a problem; the more solutions we will come up with.
I hope that your daughter will feel comfortable coming here too and discussing her concerns (they might be a little different from yours). My daughter (almost 4) was surprised to find that other peple have the same problem. I find that letting her know that other people have lived with this and are oder than her brings her comfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:28 pm 

The first day of highschool is stressful enough--but it must be so difficult for your daughter since she has lost her 'safe space'. Good luck to her and to you as you prepare for the new term.