You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:13 am 

Hi there,

I just found this forum, so I hope to find out lots of info about my son's allergies! I live in Calgary, Alberta.

He's 5, and while we've known since he was an infant that he was allergic to milk, we recently dealt with an anaphylactic reaction after which his allergist told us that he would never grow out of it. He's also allergic to tree nuts.

His RAST tests have always been >100 for milk protein. I'm scared that he is starting school in a few days, so am preparing myself as best as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:47 pm 

Hi to Calgary;
I just found this forum as well and am very excited. I live in Dawson Creek B.C. and have very little support. My daughter is severely allergic to peanuts 14 years old and school never gets any less scary , it is always a struggle. There are always people who do not understand the severity of it. I have a meeting with the staff at her new school at 8:15 a.m. wednesday morning and the health nurse will be there to teach the use of the epi-pen. We have to make them understand that our children deserve a safe place to go to school and get an education. When Aleshia started school at the tender age of 4 years, I had to fight with parents who thought she should just be home schooled if she is so severe. I luckily had an awesome Principal at that school who helped me educate people and made the school peanut free and was always on top of it.
Life has been much harder since she started high school, it is all around her. She stays away from the concession, vending machines, and public bathrooms . She can go into anaphylactic shock from touching residue so she wears gloves and eats in a separate area. This new school seems very willing to do whatever they can and they even have a water cooler for her so she can have water during the day (can't use the fountains)
I hope all goes well for you and that you have a good school that is willing to work with you to make it safe for your son. Hang in there.
Aleshiasmom