You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:25 pm 

My 4 year old has been diagnosed with a mold allergy which means he must avoid foods such as cheeses, hot dogs, vinegar and vinegar-containing foods like ketchup, breads with large amounts of yeast, dried and canned fruits, melons,canned tomatoes, malted breakfast cereals ( I only have two examples) and so on.

The biggest problem I am finding is trying to find food ideas and substitutes. I have googled until my fingers are falling off, but besides a list similar to what I have shared there are no meal planner ideas or lists of "malted" cereals or better yet lists of great food ideas. I feel kinda lost.

Please help. Ideas? Resources? Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi there, it is always hardest when first diagnosed and all you see is what you can't eat.
Good for you trying to look for what he can eat.

I have a co-worker with a yeast allergy and I will ask her what bread products she can eat.

Meanwhile, keep reading those labels.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

My co-worker states that she buys her bread from the Little Stream Bakery http://www.littlestream.com/

She told me that you should probably try to avoid soya sauces but that you might want to investigate tamari sauce but that you should look into organic ones.

Also, many berries naturally have mold on them (strawberries, raspberries, grapes and even oranges were fruits she specifically mentioned).

The diet for your child sounds similar to the Rose Candida diet (wholistic yeast elimination). If you do an internet search, you might find suitable foods there.

I'm not however suggesting you restrict the diet anymore than your child's allergist has already advised.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Flin Flonner,

Welcome. I'm curious - did an allergist suggest this much avoidance? I ask because allergists usually say you don't need to worry about restricting foods with mould allergies.

It seems like it would make sense to, but one reason I don't know of many resources, is that I just haven't heard of this advice being given. Is it a particular kind of mould allergy?

Welcome by the way!