You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:47 pm 

Hi there,

I'm new to this site. My son Zachary is 20 months old and is severely allergic to diary and sesame seeds. I'm hoping that we might find some other families with similar situations.

Our real problem right now with his allergies are that they are so severe that even trace amounts of diary for example left over on a toy from a child who ate cheese and touched that toy earlier can cause him to have a reaction. He's a very happy little guy and really loves other children but it is very hard for us to take him anywhere without him having a reaction as it seems diary is everywhere, especially with young children.

I have also been heartbroken by the lack of compassion and understanding from other people with regards to my son's allergies. We often have people think its just lactose intolerance (he'll get a bad tummy if he eats some ice-cream or something like that) and don't believe that his allergies can really be that severe.

I am often finding myself trying desperately to explain to people (especially other parents who's children are around my son) that if their child has diary on their hands for example and Zachary is playing with them, it can cause him to have a reaction. Nobody seems to believe me until they see him start to swell and get covered in hives and his eyes puff close from having one of his little friends with milk on them touch him or a toy they share. Actually, even after this some parents still don't seem to care or understand.

Anyways, as Zachary is getting older now we want him to have more socialization and possibly start nursery school in the Fall, so we would really appreciate hearig if there are other parents out there who have this situation or similar and how they deal with it all. We haven't come across any other child like Zachary yet so it would comforting to know we aren't alone!

Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to reviewing over this site and hopefully finding some support as we continue our effort to protect Zachary and yet give him as normal of a childhood as possible, as well as figure out how to educate people about allergic children like Zachary.

Cheers,

Jodi :)
(Zachary's Mom) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:46 am 
Site Admin

Hello! Glad you have found us. The initial diagnosis is a very stressful time. There is so much information to take in and it is natural to want to educate others at a time when you are just still learning yourself. This is an anxious time.

Try to break it down into managable pieces.

Learn the names of what you are avoiding. Read all of the labels in your kitchen and bathroom.
Get your safe zone, a place where you can let him be without being on high alert.
Find other activities which are least likely to have his allergens present.
Get your auto-injector and trainer.
Teach those in your immediate circle, those who might watch him and make sure they get it.
Divide the job with your significant other and have them be responsible for a portion if possible. Try to be on the same page regarding seriousness of the condition.

Use the search button at the top of the page to search the forums for specific issues or simply look in the topics Parenting, Diary and Sesame Seeds to start.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:04 am 

Welcome to the forum!

I have a 19 month old with anaphylaxis to dairy and allergies to eggs, wheat and barley... It's hard at such a young age to deal with all this... I know! But after a while you get into a routine, and it gets a little easier...

I've known about my daughter's allergies since she was 9 months... She started full time daycare at 11 months! We found a place that really understand how severe her allergies are! They wash all the kids (10 in her group, 20 in total) before they play with common toys and before & after eating. All the kids have their own chairs for snack and lunch time, their own mat for nap time. I bring ALL her food and dishes, and it's always the first lunch to be heated in the microwave (cleaned daily). All this to say that measures can be taken for an allergic child to be included in 'regular' activities, but the parents have to find open-minded people that are ready to be 'eduated' and really get the severity of the issue!

Also, we chose to keep dairy in our home, but she's never ever in the kitchen alone and we never eat anywhere but at the kitchen table! We taught her not to open cupboards or the refrigerator, that she eats off her placemat and sitting at the table only! And one thing that's very important to us is that she never puts anything in her mouth that was on the floor! We disciplined her severely about this and now she brings every crumb, lint, piece of grass that's on the floor to us, it works well for us!

I'm sure you're overwhelmed right now, but you'll find your methods and know what (in any) risk and precautions you need to take to enjoy a full happy life with your toddler!

Good luck!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jodi,

Let me just add to the great advice you're getting from Susan and kdfour ...

You may want to read this article about living with dairy allergy – http://allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=90

It was written by the former moderator of this site (Karen) in response to a local newspaper article that questioned why allergic kids needed so much accommodation.

If it helps to make the point about seriousness of d.a. to some others, feel free to print it out.

And welcome to the forum and site! Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:34 pm 

Thank you so much Susan, kdufour and Gwen, very much appreciated. I checked out that article by Karen, which was very interesting, thank you. I've had a chance to check out more information from this forum too which has been very helpful, especially under the dairy section, so great!

It is great to hear about what other kids like Zachary do so we can have options to put a plan together for him, take more control so we don't feel so lost with it all. We have his epi-pens on us at all times, just haven't had to use them yet or worry so much about leaving him with others yet but now that he's getting older we want to be able to feel like we can do that safely.

Thank you so much everyone, so nice to know that we're not alone! :)