You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:15 pm 

Hello everyone. I recently started using this forum and have found it to be very helpful.

I have two daughters age 2.5 who is allergic to milk and eggs and strictly avoiding all nuts,and seems to be allergic to cats and outside (triggers itchiness which can aggrivate eczema and triggers mucus which drains into her stomach and sometimes causes her to throw up), and 4.5 who is allergic to nuts and peanuts. Both are also strictly avoiding all fish. Both have eczema, and cold uticaria ( hives from cold ) and get hives on their feet after coming out of a swimming pool. My husband had NUMEROUS childhood allergies. He is still allergic to eggs, all fish and tree nuts but has outgrown peanuts, milk and others. He has asthma and also has inhaled allergens which trigger asthma including cats, dogs, and generally the outdoors. I am allergic to penicillan and eurithromiacin.

I stay at home with my daughters and am finding that dealing with "the world outside of my house" to be stressful and frustrating. From reading other posts, I am starting to feel not quite so alone. I'm looking forward to posting regularily and chatting with others who feel the same way that I do.

Post subject: I'm replying to myself.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:57 pm 

2.5 year old is now allergic to beef and chicken. Pretty sure. The swollen lip and hives were a good indicator. I'm just waiting for her to be tested.

Post subject: Cold Urticaria
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:08 pm 

I forgot to add this, because it isn't food. Both of my daughters seem to have "Cold Urticaria" too. I've seen a dermatologist, and it is really hard to diagnose. But they both definitely have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:11 pm 

We saw our allergist today. My oldest daughter had lots of environmental tests and was negative for all.

My youngest daughter was tested for -chicken...positive
-beef...negative (hooray) however all processed meat (hot dogs, meat slices ) is scary due to the cross contamination with chicken products.
-cats...positive
-dogs...positive
She did not have any environmental ( because no asthma present ) but i'm sure that she has some because she needs reactine before going outside to play or she gets itchy and mucousy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:52 am 

Hey there!
I am also from Saskatchewan, Saskatoon in fact, and I have a 3.5 year old son who has multiple food allergies. He was diagnosed at 10 months of age when he would throw up his milk when I was weaning him from formula (which was milk based) to homo milk. My doctor sent us for food allergy testing, and found he is allergic to: peanuts, nuts, fish, shellfish, bananas, kiwis, strawberries, eggs, dogs, cats, barley, rice. He has had 2 more allergy tests, and is now only allergic to peanuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, kiwis, cats. The barley and rice show up on the allergy test, but he can eat it and he is perfectly fine. His doctor said that can happen sometimes, and if he eats it and doesn't react, he should be fine but to be aware he may react at some time in the future. I can still remember the day of the first test, I was shell shocked to say the least, I was scared to death, and on information overload. I have to say that my parents and family are getting better the older he gets, and most are ok with the allergies. I ran into a problem when at the gym I went to supposedly had a "no snack" rule because of the food allergies. The supervisor let a mother bribe her child into staying in the childcare room with a peanut butter cookie....the supervisor didn't notice for 5 minutes. Needless to say, we never went back and my hubby talked with the owner and got things straightened out. But, a "friend" said I was a b**ch about the way I handled things. I had to make her understand (hopefully she did!!) by saying that I did not want to take my child out of the gym in a casket!!!! She got pretty quiet, but she hasn't made any overtures to continue to be friends, so no skin off my nose!! I have since found out who my true frineds are, they are accepting and ok with things, either by asking if what they are making is ok, which buns/bread is ok, and for birhtdays they offer to make my son his cupcakes. That means the world to me!!! The parties are always nut free, but I still stay with him at the parties since he's still so little, and always bring his own cupcakes. He knows not to eat any goodies out of the goody bag until mom or dad checks it out, and there has been no instances of nut products in the bags for him. Let me tell you, the goodies he knows he can eat, he will definitely let you know it!!

Since I found this message board, just tonight, I am so happy that the things I am feeling and have gone through educating some people, I am not alone. I know I will be quite active on this board, and am finding things out on how to deal with certain people.

Dana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:31 pm 

Hi Dana,
That's quite a number of foods that your son is allergic to! I've had a similar experience with the allergy tests---they aren't that consistent and sometimes it is hard to know what to make of them.