You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: tolerance levels?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:49 pm 

Hi! I'm new to the site and am looking for some help/advice. Almost a year ago, I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). For the most part, it is not a huge inconvenience, but I am very much affected by what I eat. I went yesterday for serial dilution titration allergy testing to see if I could narrow down what some of these trigger foods are.

The verdict is I have to eliminate yeast (including sugar, vinegar, etc), wheat, oats and garlic. I'm limited to the amounts of chicken and tomatoes I can have.

I'm supposed to eliminate these things for 4-6 months. After freaking out about not being able to eat my most favourite things, I'm starting to wonder. I've been consuming these things for my entire life and don't feel that bad. If I eliminate these allergens, and then ingest them at a later date, is it possible that the reaction to these things will be worse? If that's the case, I'm willing to continue eating them as 90% of the time, it doesn't affect me.

I know that you can only offer your experiences rather than medical advice, but I'm open to hearing what anyone has to say.

Thanks!
Becks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi!

I don't know much about IBS and I don't believe that allergies cause IBS but if you are looking for information on how to manage a restricted diet, reading labels or recipes that offer alternatives to what you are avoiding, I think this forum might be informative.

What I have been able to find about IBS and food alergies are these two studies. The first is an older study which sugests more research is warrunted. I'm not sure if the second is based on the first. I would have liked the have seen a larger number of subjects in the second study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15361495
Quote:
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester M20 2LR, UK.

BACKGROUND: Patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) often feel they have some form of dietary intolerance and frequently try exclusion diets. Tests attempting to predict food sensitivity in IBS have been disappointing but none has utilised IgG antibodies. AIMS: To assess the therapeutic potential of dietary elimination based on the presence of IgG antibodies to food.
PATIENTS: A total of 150 outpatients with IBS were randomised to receive, for three months, either a diet excluding all foods to which they had raised IgG antibodies (enzyme linked immunosorbant assay test) or a sham diet excluding the same number of foods but not those to which they had antibodies.
METHODS: Primary outcome measures were change in IBS symptom severity and global rating scores. Non-colonic symptomatology, quality of life, and anxiety/depression were secondary outcomes. Intention to treat analysis was undertaken using a generalised linear model.
RESULTS: After 12 weeks, the true diet resulted in a 10% greater reduction in symptom score than the sham diet (mean difference 39 (95% confidence intervals (CI) 5-72); p = 0.024) with this value increasing to 26% in fully compliant patients (difference 98 (95% CI 52-144); p<0.001). Global rating also significantly improved in the true diet group as a whole (p = 0.048, NNT = 9) and even more in compliant patients (p = 0.006, NNT = 2.5). All other outcomes showed trends favouring the true diet. Relaxing the diet led to a 24% greater deterioration in symptoms in those on the true diet (difference 52 (95% CI 18-88); p = 0.003).
CONCLUSION: Food elimination based on IgG antibodies may be effective in reducing IBS symptoms and is worthy of further biomedical research.

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17517095
Quote:
Department of Gastroenterology, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China.

BACKGROUND: Post-prandial worsening of symptoms as well as adverse reactions to one or more foods are common in the patients with functional gastrointestinal diseases, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and functional dyspepsia (FD). However, the role played by true food allergy in the pathogenesis of these diseases is still controversial and there are no well-established tests to identify food allergy in this condition.
OBJECTIVE: To investigate serum food antigen-specific IgG, IgE antibody and total IgE antibody titres in controls and patients with IBS and FD, and to correlate symptoms with the food antigen-specific IgG titres in IBS and FD patients.
METHODS: Thirty-seven IBS patients, 28 FD patients and 20 healthy controls participated in this study. Serum IgG and IgE antibody titres to 14 common foods including beef, chicken, codfish, corn, crab, eggs, mushroom, milk, pork, rice, shrimp, soybean, tomatoes and wheat were analysed by ELISA. Serum total IgE titres were also measured. Last, symptomatology was assessed in the study. Results IBS patients had significantly higher titres of IgG antibody to crab (P=0.000), egg (P=0.000), shrimp (P=0.000), soybean (P=0.017) and wheat (P=0.004) than controls. FD patients had significantly higher titres of IgG antibody to egg (P=0.000) and soybean (P=0.017) than controls. The percentage of individuals with detectable positive food antigen-specific IgE antibodies of the three groups did not show any significant differences (P=0.971). There were no significant differences between IBS patients, FD patients and controls in the serum total IgE antibody titres (P=0.978). Lastly, no significant correlation was seen between symptom severity and serum food antigen-specific IgG antibody titres both in IBS and FD patients.
CONCLUSION: Serum IgG antibody titres to some common foods increased in IBS and FD patients compared to controls. But there is no significant correlation between symptom severity and elevated serum food antigen-specific IgG antibodies in these patients.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb