You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:19 pm 

Hey everyone, I'm 28, and two years ago I had an adult onset of shellfish allergies.

Never had any problems growing up, have an allergy to penecillin, but nothing severe. When I was 26, I was at a Chinese restaurant with work, a coworker gave me some shirmp, couple minutes later my throat started burning (sorta like when you burn your mouth on hot food). That was it, no hives, no swelling...I went home, didn't think it was anything concerning (didn't have a reason to).

About two months later, I'm with my friend in a different Chinese restuarant (loved Chinese food), and she gave me some shrimp. I've eaten minimal shrimp before, I don't really like it, but it always looked good...lol. Couple minutes later same thing with the throat. She went to get a second plate, when she got back I had touched my eye, and now it was red.

Went to an alllergist, who said that I had a mild to moderate allergy, stay away from shrimp and stuff. No problems since.

BUT, I have anxiety...in the form of health anxiety. I started to get all worried I was going to have some anaphylactic reaction to ANYTHING, then I started to believe I was allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, seeds...etc. I've had a couple scratch tests, only thing revealing was that I'm still allergic to shellfish i.e. shrimp, lobster, oyster and crab...and I actually have seasonal allergies to ragweed and severe allergy to dust...no idea about that one.

I like this forum, and without offending anyone, I have to say that I started to read previously before I joined and it freaked me out. I get worried with my anxiety...but I do feel better knowing that its not unusual for someone to have adult allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:32 am 

Hi - glad you found us.

Just wanted to let you know, it's also normal to have anxiety from the sudden onset of food allergies. I lost a lot of weight when I first developed my allergies because i was afraid to eat. Things got much better when I figured out what specific foods were causing my problems.

Since you love Chinese food, I would suggest you call ahead to any places to make sure there are some foods that you don't need to worry about cross contamination with shell-fish. Unfortunately, I have had to completely give up eating at those restaurants. Those that no longer cook in peanut oil switched to sesame seed oil. The good news is, dh & I have learned to make it ourselves.