Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: deleted post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:20 pm 

deleted

Last edited by NevaehsMom on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Admin

First of all, be careful in switching to soy milk at this age. Soy milks are equivalent to 2% milk in fat content and it is recommended that children under 2 years of age drink homogeonized milk as they require the additional fat in their diets. This fat aids in the absorption of fat soluble vitamins and also aids in brain development. I don't know of any soy based formulas but perhaps another member will have a suggestion. Meanwhile increase the fat (when we gave our 18 month old daughter soy milk we were advised by a dietician to increase her fat by 7 teaspoons of oil per day)

We are avoiding egg, peanuts and tree nuts as well as milk so there may possibly be more items which you can eat but we use Dempsters white bread (in the shiny foil package), Betty brand hamburger and hot dog buns (sold here in Ottawa) and some brands of pita breads (I can't remember the brand just check the labels). You can look for soda crackers, rice crackers. Other than that, we make our own bread in our bread maker.

I buy Dare snacktime oatmeal cookies, Oreo cookies, No-name Graham crackers and those little cookies in the foil packages which are shaped like teddy bears (not the chocolate chip ones though). Enjoy life snack bars are free from most allergens.

We make Rice Krispie squares and I have been known to melt President's Choice chocolate chip and pour them into molds to make chocolates.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: deleted post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:41 pm 

deleted post

Last edited by NevaehsMom on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Nevaeh's Mom - welcome, welcome – and a hug and a deep breath. I know this is a big adjustment.

The good news is we have lots of great people on this forum whose kids have dairy allergies. I hope we/they can help you get through this change; things will get easier once you get the hang of knowing some good products and the habit of label reading.

Your posts remind me that I've been meaning to put up on our site an excellent column about replacing milk in young kids' diets by Allergic Living magazine columnist Alisa Bar-Dayan. Alisa is the chief dietitian at the Specialty Food Shop of the Hospital for Sick Kids in T.O. I'll post a link once that's up.

Meantime, let me just paraphrase from it: Alisa's view is that with a d-f child under 2, you should use soy 'formula'.

She says soy, rice and other dairy-free beverages shouldn't be used in place of the formula as a main source of liquid nutrition as they don't contain enough protein, fat or iron.

Post subject: deleted
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:03 pm 

deleted

Last edited by NevaehsMom on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 am 

There are soy formulas on the market that are virtually the same price as dairy based formula. You can even prepare them and use them in place of milk when baking if you want (though I use soy milk to bake.) When we switched our daughter from breastmilk to soy at 1 year, I was concerned about fat. My doctor insisted that she would be fine, but based on my research, I chose to add healthy fats like olive oil and coconut oil to her diet to help make up for the loss. It is really overwhelming when you start shopping for dairy free foods, but it is getting easier. Remember to read labels on everything, because they hide dairy in weird places. (Once, I found it in frozen chicken breast! I almost had a tantrum in the store. LOL.) It does get SOOO much easier with a bit of time, soon enough it will seem like no big deal.

My daughter loved PopTarts to snack on. Not the healthiest, but very portable. There are also some soy-based nutrition shakes (think SlimFast) on the market that are reasonably tasty and help add some fat and calories when you are running low.

Good Luck, you will survive, and you will all eat so much healthier because of it!

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject: substituting milk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:38 pm 

Hi NavaehsMom -- welcome to the Forum!

You've come to the right place to find information for your daughter. We have lots of mothers and fathers who use the Forum to ask questions.

I have an article here which I think you might find useful. It's from the "Ask the Dietitian" column from Allergic Living. Here is the link:

http://www.allergicliving.com/columns.asp?copy_id=209

I hope you find the article useful. Good luck in your search for info!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:52 am 

deleted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 am 
Site Admin

I am really bothered by the number of parents with children under 2 years of age who have allergies to milk, who are being advised to switch from breastfeeding or milok based formula to soy milk or another milk alternative instead of being advised to switch to a formula.

We can't all be miss-understanding our individual Pediatricians. In light of the fact that there has been a marked rise in the prevalence of food allergies, I really think that the College of Physicians, Dieticians of Canada or Health Canada's Food Guide should promote the concept of whole milk or formula only before the age of 2 (this used to be promoted years ago).

Milk alternatives are so readily available these days and I suspect that many people don't concider that although they are similar in calcium content they can be very different in fat and protiein content.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:50 pm 

deleted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:15 pm 

Hi there,

I have dairy problems, not actually allergies, just if I eat any little bit of a diary product, the bathroom is my best friend for a few hours. Sorry for the graphics. :) I try to stick with this list.

http://www.avoidingmilkprotein.com/snack.htm

Hopefully it helps you. Do some major research online and maybe talk to more than one doctor.

Best of luck.