Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi, new here..
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:04 pm 

:D Hi,

I found your forums yesterday while searching the web. I've read allergic living magazine but didn't realize they had this wonderful forum too.

I have a son who was just recently food challenged for peanut and PASSED!!! :D He is ten and was first diagnosed with peanut/tree nut allergy when he was two years old. We first discovered his allergy when he ate the smallest amount of PB on a peice of toast..shortly after he got hives wherever the PB touched and his eye swelled shut. He has never eaten tree nuts, but shows positive for most on his skin tests. His RAST test show he has low levels on the tree nuts so we plan to challenge those too over the next several months. This is an exciting but anxious time for us all. We are thrilled he has passed the PB test but are finding it difficult at times to relax when he eats it at home. I guess we have to learn to embrace PB once again. We hope that his tree nut challenges are as successful.

Thanks for letting me share my story.

Suzanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Knowing that it is not the enormous danger that it was is a start. Do you have to have him eat much of it?
Can you start by allowing him to have may contains and work up to PB?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 pm 

Well the instructions were...your child must now eat peanuts at LEAST once a week for four weeks with supervision, with epipen nearby. After four weeks your child must eat peanuts at least several times a month but may eat them unsupervised without epipen unless they have other food allergies that warrent the carrying of the epipen. So we figured that we should be giving him things that we definitely know have peanuts in them, not the just "may contain' products as those aren't absolutely containing the allergen.
HE has had numerous things with 'may contain' on them over the last week and he is just thrilled! He actually made a list of things he wanted me to buy at the grocery store that he has wanted to try over the years but couldn't. It's kinda like a rebirth for him. He hasn't had sooo many things everyone else has had for years and now he can. :) Yet, when i went to these products i still see the tree nut warning on them along with the peanut. So i guess he still is pretty restricted with pkged stuff. When i asked the doctor how much peanut shoud he eat..he said didn't matter, "just eat it".
The challenge was on Tuesday. Wednes. he had a few items with the 'may contain' on them. Then on Thurs. we gave him a recess peanut butter cup a quarter at a time just so we could watch him eat it slowly, he was fine. He didn't want anymore after the first one so we just left it at that. Then yesterday we made him half a PB and jam sandwich and he had some recess wafer sticks..and he was fine. So i suppose we are working slowly into this. I know he only has to eat it at least once, but i figure the more we give it the more comfortable we should become right? Each separate exposure gives us confidence that he will be ok the next time. My son isn't crazy about peanuts just yet, but knows the importance of eating it and is following the rules. My eyes are still on him constantly when he eats Peanuts but i'm hoping as time goes on it will get easier. I'm just still kinda shocked that he is actually eating it and is fine. Sometimes it feels like i'm in a dream..a good one. I honestly had given up hope that he would ever outgrow any of his allergies. I can't believe i can once again eat a recess PB cup with him around. THe other night I was eating it and just laughing. Right after i ate it i instinctly went to wash my hands and then realized it didn't matter anymore and that the residue wouldn't hurt him..ahhh what a relief. It's amazing how much worry is associated with food allergies. We still have to be careful because of the tree nut allergies but man it sure feels great to let go of the peanut worry.
I think one of the best things for my son when he was told he passed that food challenge was that he could go tell his friends in class they can now bring in PB sandwiches. I thilnk he was more happy about that then actually eating it himself. That's all he talked about that night and the next morning. He wanted to announce it to the class. I think it gave him a brief feeling of being fully 'normal' in the kids eyes. It made me want to cry for him. I can only imagine how hard it is to be looked at differently in the eyes of your classmates because of his food allergies. It made me think that maybe he was feeling the pressure from classmates more than i knew. THis successful food challenge has been a true blessing.

Suzanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:37 pm 

Just hearing about your newfound freedom makes me feel happy, scared and inspired by you. Being new to this, it already feels almost like a disability. I can only imagine the FREEDOM your son felt. It made my heart do a happy dance for him. I can also see how you could be fearful and relieved at the same time. Learning to live without this allergy is probably a learning curve in itself.

I wish your family nothing but health and success. Your story really is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:49 pm 

[quote]Just hearing about your newfound freedom makes me feel happy, scared and inspired by you. Being new to this, it already feels almost like a disability. I can only imagine the FREEDOM your son felt. It made my heart do a happy dance for him. I can also see how you could be fearful and relieved at the same time. Learning to live without this allergy is probably a learning curve in itself.

I wish your family nothing but health and success. Your story really is helpful.[/quote]

Molly,

Thank you! I wish you all the best too. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away. :D
Suzanne