You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:09 pm 

My daughter has anaphalaxis to milk among other things. We recently visited my sister after she had been cooking a 4 cheese potato gratin. Almost right after having arrived at her house my daughter started coughing then wheezing. I gave her ventoline and it when away (later at home she needed an antihistamine but no anaphalaxis). They had finished eating but here was a strong odor of cheese in the air. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing with milk? I had heard of this with fish or frying eggs or whipping cream to make it airborn but not baked cheese. Is this possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:38 am 

I don't know about milk, but I react to wheat in the air, ie pasta being boiled, flour dust.. anything that releases a substantial ammount of protein into the air. if I sit close to someone I'll usually start itching all over my face and body (sometimes palms and feet), I get maybe a couple of hives, but the worst is my breathing will be effected. I don't react from just smelling it from feet away, but if I directly inhale it I will. I just steer clear of the kitchen for an hour or so when wheaty things are being cooked and I'm okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Our allergist did tell us years ago that milk can become airborne if it is cooked in a manner that creates steam (bubbling on the stove). He seemed to think it would take a lot of it to cause a reaction.

From your account, it appears that it doesn't take a lot. :(
I'm sorry to hear that she reacted.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:42 am 

We were at friends once who cooked lasagna while we were there. By the time we left Kaden's face was bright red with a bumpy rash, but he had no breathing problems. He wasn't running around or anything to cause the red face, so we assumed it was the cooking cheese. Another reason we don't eat in restaurants or have allergens in the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

If it happens with dairy, it certainly isn't common. It's not reported to speak of in the medical literature. However, as always with allergies, some people can be more sensitive than others. Sorry if it did happen to your child.

Question: could anything else have triggered? e.g. any pets to which you daughter's allergic?

Airborne reactions are definitely more common with shellfish and fish proteins (and sometimes egg) than the other major allergens. The one time I had an airborne reaction to shellfish, I was standing at a stove at a party, right next to the cook as she (unbeknownst to me) whipped open a large Tupperware container of shrimp and threw the contents into a big stew in one fell swoop. It was like standing in a shrimp facial.

I didn't think I'd react, but did. Got sick to my stomach, some hives, but not a full-on anaphlaxis event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:17 pm 

My daughter had an airborne reaction to peanuts.
Someone had dropped peanuts in the locker room while she was in the pool. I notified the front desk, and they sent someone very quickly to clean it up. As my daughter entered the locker room, she crossed paths with the cleaning lady who had *just* finished cleaning up. My daughter - who didn't know about the peanuts - reacted instantly. She choked up right away.

I took her to the adult changing room, blamed myself for not having benadryl with me, wondered if this was an epipen case. She ended up feeling better as soon as she was removed from the locker room in question.

Btw, this was her first reaction ever to peanuts apart from a test at the allergist.

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:26 pm 

I can't see anything else having triggered her reaction. No pets in the house. And she's been in that house many times without reacting before and after. My daughter has multiple food allergies but milk caused her fastest anaphlactic reaction a few months back. She did not ingest the food we got it out of her mouth but still she had swelling, hives shortness of breath all 15 minutes after. She reacted to milk before ever having had any food besides breast milk so she is very sensitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:55 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad she's OK.

That must have been scary.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb