You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:50 pm 

My daughter has had allergies to fruits and veggies for years - serious enough that she has an epi-pen.

She had itching in her mouth after a spoonful of peanut butter so she then had skin test done at the allergist who said "Should we also test for treenuts?". Turns out she did not even react to the peanuts but was positive (mildly) to a number of tree nuts - total surprise for us! The RAST confirmed the tree nuts (esp hazelnuts) but negative on peanuts.

Two hours later I was giving her lunch and checked all the ingredients but one --- a package of nasty hot dog buns that she had already eaten from and she had an anaphylactic reaction within 2 minutes. I had to administer the epi-pen, 911, ambulance, 7 hours at Children's Hospital. Thankfully she never lost concsciousness and after the epi, oxygen, prednisone, antihistamine just one hour later she felt okay.

The nasty hot dog buns were made on equipment that also has tree nuts :cry: It did not occur to me to check as she had already eaten from the bag two days before!

We wonder if she it was the skin test messing with her system that made her react so severely to the nasty bun or whether a trace of nut was on the nasty bun and not on the buns she had eaten before. We are very vigilant now but wonder if the chance of her having an ana reaction are as likely? We know that we can never be sure but just wondering your thoughts...

The allergist doesn't think the skin test would do that but it does to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear of the reaction; relieved to hear she's OK.

When you say "we can never be sure" - you kind of cover the whole point on "may contain traces of" products. Who knows when it's enough to trigger a reaction? Most allergists would just say: don't chance it.

Also, in the States about a year ago, Dr. Sicherer and colleagues at Mt. Sinai tested a bunch of "may contain" products. Many of them "did contain" traces of (I think it was nuts and/or peanuts). So while some manufacturers may just be slapping these labels as a way to avoid liability, others are not.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know. Personally, I just look for allergen-free products, and call manufacturers if I'm not sure about the labelling.