You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Latex Fruit Syndrome
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:07 am 

So glad to find this site. I have been tested and diagnosed with latex fruit syndrome. Each ana reaction seems to make me react to more fruit on the list. Latex, banana and potato have all caused ana even when cooked. The list of fruit which cause a reaction (but not ana) is growing every day. I know it is not the usual way this happens. I'll be travelling to the Carribean and am seriously concerned about all the bananas as well as the other tropical fruit. Cross contamination is a big issue in all the food and drink at the hotel. Should I tell the airline/hotel about my allergy. I am so tired of trying to convince people that this is a real life-threatening condition. Who ever heard of anyone being allergic to bananas and potatoes - is the usual response I get. I guess I just need some support and encouragement because my reactions are so extreme at the moment and the medical professionals are so hohum about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi! Glad you've found us. Potato and banana allergies are not new to this board. I don't think they're related to each other, though.

Why don't you post your travel question in the travel section? I'm sure you'll get a response there.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome,

Well, as you know, latex cross-reactions are real. Some people with Oral Allergy Syndrome or your latex condition find it helpful to get a note from the doctor that says you have this syndrome and that due to your allergy to latex, you are also allergic to the following foods. Then it's official, not just you saying so.

You probably know more about this syndrome than me - I'd heard of latex cross-reacting with: banana, kiwi, avocado and passionfruit. Does it also cross-react with potato? Hadn't heard that. Or are you simply separately allergic to that?

You may want to tell the hotel about your sensitivities, I hope you're not going somewhere where buffets are the style of eating. I'd strongly suggest getting a hotel room with a kitchen. Then buy your own produce and cook. You should check out some of our travel articles in the Archive for good advice (see that word the red horizontal bar on the homepage).

Post subject: Newbie thanks you
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:29 pm 

Thanks for the great advice. In the past, I have rented houses instead of opting for hotels but this year, I've already booked and paid for an all-inclusive without realizing the inherent dangers. I believe I will be bringing a lot of crackers with me because the buffet does scare me but I shall persevere and enjoy the warmth anyway. Next year I'll be back to renting a house.
I've checked and my dr's list of latex fruit sensitive fruit does include potato but usually in the raw form only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:55 pm 

when I traveled to Mexico a few years ago to an all inclusive (buffet) I was not sure what I was in for. Since it was not a very long trip I think I packed more food than clothes!
I like the tuna/cracker combos, and cheese and crackers, raisins, fruit(in a can) and soynuts. I think you can also purchase some Hotrods or beef jerky?
These are some of the items I find travel well for me and will also fill me up.
I did find things that I was fine to eat at the buffet.

Enjoy your trip I am sure all will be fine :)

Post subject: All -inclusives
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:12 pm 

Great minds think alike I believe. I had decided to fill one suitcase with crackers but your suggestions for additions were great. I will definitely adding your suggestions. Thanks again. This is just the type of practical advice I needed.