Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Multiple Food Allergies
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:46 pm 

Greetings to all,

I am new to this forum but not the world of food allergies. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with my first food allergy using skin prick testing. Unfortunately, I have developed nine more food allergies that have been diagnosed using skin prick and RAST. I was experiencing symptoms to all these foods prior to testing so the results confirmed my suspicions. In addition, I also suffer from eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease (EGID).

Unfortunately, all four board certified allergists, whom I consulted with, refused to perform an oral challenge. I also cope with asthma and have experienced severe, respiratory symptoms with several of these foods. They are concerned about inducing anaphylaxis. Yes, I have been prescribed an epinephrine auto-injector in case of accidental exposure.

Unfortunately, due to the EGID, I have been experiencing a difficult time maintaining my weight. I have consulted with a nutritionist in the past about my restricted diet. My new local allergist recommended that I consider adding an elemental formula.

She was gracious enough to provide me with samples at the end of my visit today. The label for the product purported to be "hypoallergenic" and claimed to be "suitable for those who cannot tolerate soy." I have experienced anaphylaxis with soy. When I returned home and opened the package for this product, I discovered upon consulting the listing of ingredients that it contains soy oil!

I am aware of the research that mentioned that vegetable oil is supposedly safe for individuals with a soy allergy because it is devoid of the protein. However, I have become violently ill in the past whenever I have used soy based vegetable oil to cook a meal. Right now, I will not be using this sample.

A message has been left for the allergist regarding an alternative to EleCare. Are there others who have been faced with this predicament? I am allergic to beef, soy, hazelnut, pork, lamb, turkey, wheat, strawberry, and banana. Next week, I am being IgE tested for milk. Can anyone make any recommendations for an elemental formula that would not contain any of my current allergens? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:09 pm 

Hi and welcome to the site!
Allergies can be so frustrating. I only have a drug allergy, but my husband and youngest son have multiple food allergies and, of course, they are different so cooking in my house is a nightmare!
Unfortunately I don't have an answer to what you are seeking, but can only suggest that you check out some health food stores. Maybe they can find what your looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome!

Can I ask why you'd want an oral challenge to foods that test positively to both the skin prick test and the RAST? Is it these foods you want to test or others? Is it because of the eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease?

I don't know much about EGID but perhaps some of the other members do.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:36 am 

Hi there,
yes allergies can definitely be frustrating - I am also suffering from multiple food allergies. :( Guess we have to get used to this situation!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 am 

Try Vega products. They have shakes and smoothies. It is a vegan line so none of the meats will be in there, nor dairy or eggs anyways. They have plain flavours so you probably won't have to worry about the fruits and I am almost positive there is no hazelnut. It is packed with vitamins, minerals and protein. I think it's the best bet for you. The creator is a professional ironman triathlete who created these products for himself first. He is the only ironman in the world to have a solely plant based diet.
The website is: http://sequelnaturals.com/vega
Good luck...I hope it works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:01 pm 

~Lisa~ wrote:
Try Vega products. They have shakes and smoothies. It is a vegan line so none of the meats will be in there, nor dairy or eggs anyways. They have plain flavours so you probably won't have to worry about the fruits and I am almost positive there is no hazelnut. It is packed with vitamins, minerals and protein. I think it's the best bet for you. The creator is a professional ironman triathlete who created these products for himself first. He is the only ironman in the world to have a solely plant based diet.

:D Wow! That's fantastic! I'll have to pass this info on to my mum and husband. Both who could really use these products but have food allergies and/or food intolerance. Heck, even my son could have this and he's allergic to soy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:58 pm 

These sound like a great option but I see mung beans in the ingredients for their bars. Being that our son is anaphylactic to so many legumes I would worry as I've never even heard of these before. Anyone had any experience with mung beans? Also, this may be a dumb question but does 'vegan' mean there wouldn't be any gelatin in anything?
I'll have to email them as I don't see the ingreidients are listed for the smoothies?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:59 pm 

Hmmm ok I don't know about mung beans either. If you don't have any luck when you email them let me know...I know someone who is friends with the creator of the product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:13 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
These sound like a great option but I see mung beans in the ingredients for their bars. Being that our son is anaphylactic to so many legumes I would worry as I've never even heard of these before. Anyone had any experience with mung beans? Also, this may be a dumb question but does 'vegan' mean there wouldn't be any gelatin in anything?
I'll have to email them as I don't see the ingredients are listed for the smoothies?

I found info on the mung bean. I'm guessing that your son would probably be allergic to the mung bean, especially if he has a problem with most legumes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung_bean

If you click on "Nutritional Information" the ingredients are listed... they are down underneath the other nutritional information. Looks like there's no gelatin! :D
They do have "natural flavors" listed. Whatever that means???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:08 am 

thanks Lisa and kmommy for the link, that is the exact site I tried to open yesterday but every page kept saying page error. Some kind of connection issue on my end.
I definitely think we need to avoid the mung bean but I will check out what else the company offers - no gelatin is a good start and work from there. Any options are good on a limited diet. Especially as our son is getting older and is starting to want to eat what we are eating.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:54 am 
Site Admin

BC2007-you may want to get him tested for mung beans next time he has skin prick testing.

Our daughter is anaphylaxic to many legumes however she can safely tolerate bean sprouts (mung beans) green and yellow wax beans, soy, green peas and lima beans (she is distrustfull of the latter two but she can eat frozen mixed veg which contains them).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:14 am 

~Lisa~ wrote:

Thanks for the tip lisa - the stuff on the site looks good! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:29 pm 

Hi-hopefully you have things sorted out by now with your nutrition. Is neocate an option instead of the elecare? There are some formulas that are hypoallergenic(and therefore still have protien components) and others that are just aminoacid based such as neocate.
My 7y son at the moment is having an explosion in his allergies-he outgrew egg allergy (anaphylaxis) at 3-had no food allergies or restrictions until about 6 months ago-initially started with barley and sunflower (anaphylaxis) rye grain, and now progressed to soy peanuts and sesame. I hate food allergies.
His twin has EE.
cheers caz

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.