You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hiya everyone!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:58 pm 

I assume this is the forum for introducing yourselves. :D I would like to share a little about myself before I got indulged into the forum.

The reason I joined: Not alot of people in the everyday world want to sit and talk about allergies, and as common as they are, no one around me is allergic like I am..then again I don't talk to many,

You don't have to read everything because I know I'm writing a novel, but I like to let people know. :)

I'm 19 years old, and in college, and I am ruled by many allergies. I was first diagnosed with Hay Fever, and I usually suffer with it all up until fall. I don't know what in the spring/summer affects me, though I assume pollen has something to do with it. Fresh cut grass gets a kick out of my nose and eyes, though I cut the lawn for whatever reason possesses me to do it. When I was younger, I would have /terrible/ itchy watering eyes! THankfully I outgrew it. Every few years I get extremely bad asthma where I can't even walk because I can't breathe.

I am very allergic to cats and dogs, but other animals do not bother me. Nonetheless I plan on getting a cat and will probably just experiment with medicines.

I was born lactose intolerant, but I use milk with cereal, and otherwise I drink soymilk. Silk is amazing. :) I believe I have fruit intolerance, and it may be because of the pesticides that I read yesterday because when I go to Jamaica I am more tolerant of the Mangoes there, though sometimes I still feel the need throw up, so I will have to try with other organic fruits though I'm scared because it causes such a bad reaction. I am able to eat pineapples, bananas, and oranges though, strawberries are normally just fine. Plums, watermelon, peaches, and definitely apples are a big no no if I don't want to risk nausea.

Lastly, though I don't remember seeing any forums specifically for this, I am allergic to something in "fake jewelry" and it's not the nickel as I have bought nickel free earrings and still develop rashes. I have very sensitive skin, so I don't know what it is really. Surgical steel is safe, and titanium as far as I know is safe, so if anyone has any other ideas I would like to know. I tried to google it but many sites just mention a nickel allergy and it's definitely not that.

Who knows what else I am allergic too. When I'm able I will go get a skin test and see if there's anything else. :) THanks for reading! Sorry I talk(type) so much!

My Allergies: Intolerances, stuff in spring/summer air, certain jewelry, cats, dogs, and, grass, and possibly others!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Treece!

Don't worry about making long posts. It never looks that long when it goes through.

I was going to suggest that you post inthe Other allergies section regarding your metal allergy, but I see you've found it.

Feel free to ask questions, offer suggestions, rant, rave and explore issues.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 pm 

Welcome!! You've certainly come to the right place, I know I can relate to people not wanting to talk about allergies. I also had bad hayfever/ seasonal allergies which have gotten better with age (30+). My asthma has gotten better too, an generally only flares up when I have a bad cold. I have very sensitive skin, and also get rashes from all kinds of things. I suspect I might have OAS too, I only learned of it's existance after leaning more about allergies since my son was diagnosed as PA, I thought the tingly mouth was normal for certain fruits!

As for your animal allergies, I am also allergic but have pets. I find that the first few day with a new pet is the worst (sneezing, watery eyes etc...) but after about 3 days I stop reacting. You might want to work with a rescue group and explain the situation upfront, or offer to foster first, so that it's easier to rehome the animal if the allergies are too much to live with.

Best wishes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 pm 

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I feel very accepted, and I appreciate the responses.

Susan: I will definitely post there for further advice on these metals. :D

Becky: Thanks for the suggestion on fostering. I possibly will do that as I want to adopt from my local APL, and they do offer fostering...after long paperwork. :) I hope my asthma gets better, that would be great. I was first diagnosed with it in about 5th grade after I had what I could call an asthma attack. I was sitting down everywhere as I waited for hours to make it to the doctor. :) What kind of pets do you have, I'm just curious?

My Allergies: Intolerances, stuff in spring/summer air, certain jewelry, cats, dogs, and, grass, and possibly others!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:17 am 
Site Admin

I don't know about being hypo-allergenic but I think the skinny pig is very cute!
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/guineapi ... pigs_4.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:16 am 

Super cute guinea pigs!

Treece, I'll send you a pm. :)