You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:38 pm 

My 16 month old son just had allergy testing (skin test) done last week (he is allergic to dairy and we just had it confirmed by the allergist). I have also been avoiding eggs, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts like the plague as I was told he was high risk for being allergic to these (my husband is allergic to peanuts), so he has never been exposed to them before.

I was under the impression that you had to have been exposed to an allergen before you could have the allergy confirmed by the doctor. However, this allergist told me today that this isn't the case - a person is just predisposed to allergies and you either have them or you don't.

Anyways, long story short, my son tested negative for allergies to peanuts, treenuts, soy, and eggs. I feel comfortable enough with the soy and eggs, but am still absolutely terrified to give him peanut butter.

Am I being overly paranoid?? Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out? :?

Thanks a million!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:36 pm 

Hi there mgerber.
I actually asked this exact question the last time I saw our allergist. Our son reacted at 6 months to being kissed after I ate peanut butter, sesame, fish..... Yet other foods, chick peas, green peas, strawberry... he had a nibble once and was ok, the second time he had a huge reaction.
I was told that certain proteins, especially peanuts etc. are already determined and a person will react the first time they are contact/ingest the allergen. Usually these immediate reactions he told me involve the top allergens of nuts and peanuts and other top allergens.

If your son diid test neg. for nuts/peanuts/egg etc. that is wonderful!!! I say at 16 months it won't affect his diet much if you hold off nuts or whatever you are concerned with for now. I say feed him what you are comfortable with and trust your instincts as when and if you introduce new foods.

Good luck!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:48 am 
Site Admin

BC2007 is right. :)
Even if you don't intend on feeding him peanut butter, loosening up the reins on what you avoid will open up a world of new products. Think about it...all of those "may contain..." products are now on the acceptable list!

After living for a long time with the fear, you won't be able to let it all go at once. Give yourself some time to absorb this new reality.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:00 am 

Hey there! Okay - I am not an allergist by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I understand on the RAST test if a child has never been exposed to something they would have no antibodies to that allergen.

For example - my son is 2 and he'd NEVER had pb or tn or shellfish. Well, he got exposed to peanut and had a bad reaction so I took him in for RAST....he was neg to tn and shellfish, but since he's never been exposed that is not a reliable predictor of how he may react to them. Just like if you've never been exposed to chicken pox you don't have the antibodies, but after you've been exposed you have those antibodies the rest of your life......BUT I do let ds eat things that could be cross contaminated with those things (tn and shellfish)...because he hasn't been sensitized to it, but there is NO WAY I'm feeding him either of them.

So, all that being said, I am 90% sure that if you haven't been exposed to an allergen a negative RAST test is not an accurate predictor of future exposure. Regardless, it's not a good idea to feed anyone with allergies or a family history of allergies anything that allergenic at this age.

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:55 am 

Thank you, everyone, for your help! I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum and all of you very helpful people! I am truly blessed.