You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 pm 

I recently found out i'm allergic to sunflower seeds, does that mean i have to avoid sunflower oil??

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:10 am 

Yes!

There has been some discussion about some oils being safe, but it depends on how they process it. Who knows how a specific oil is processed? (not me...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:45 am 

Hi=my son has had anaphylaxis following the ingestion of sunflower seeds (sunbutter). The sunflower oil seems to be dependent on the person-ie some can tolerate it others have reactions. There are actually no large studies done to test if it is 'generally' safe or not-its not a common enough allergy yet but it is gaining momentum!
We have our next spt's in may next year and im going to ask for spt for sunflower oil in addition to the paste and seeds-hopefully we can then go onto have an inpatient challenge-sunflower seeds are easy to avoid-its the oil thats in everything so it would make our life so much easier!
cheers caz

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:02 am 

well-we now have the answer-spt to sunflower oil was negative (nothing at all)=spt to sunflower seed paste was 17mm. J had an inpatient food challenge to sunflower oil. Over 4 hours he tolerated a total of 4 teaspoons of oil (a big dose but it needed to be as high a dose as he would get in a meal swimming in it).
Was great at the hospital but a couple of hours after getting home came out and asked'what are these"-a red, non itchy rash covering his legs, torso and arms-dont know when it started as it wasnt itchy and he just happened to notice it.
Was going to go ahead with the challenge the next day, but at dinner time that night he had his usual gravy that has sunflower oil as its last ingredient (its a powdered gravy so thats how little is in it)-he had immediate lip swelling, nasal congestion and red itchy eyes-so we now have our answer-no sunflower oil for us.
cheers

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am 

There have also been claims over the years that corn oil is safe for people with corn allergy. NOT so...I will have horrible reactions to it.

I'm glad you figured this out for your little guy.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:44 am 

It was a good wake up call if nothing else-I had been letting him have the occasional thing that had sunflower oil as a last ingredient-ie very minute amounts (but only things that he had previously eaten-not new things) as I have never seen a reaction with it (at least not like this one). Since this trial he's had no sunflower oil whatsoever.....and you should see how fantastic his skin is!!!! No eczema/rashes/bumps-its looks amazing-I keep having to touch his face cause its so smooth now!...so its obviously been a problem but I havent ever put 2 and 2 together to make the connection.
I ve made a heap of phone calls this week to find out the 'vegetable oil' source of many things in my cupboards and Im ashamed to say that there are quite a number that do have it (sunflower oil)as an ingredient=its been a good wake up call without bad consequences thankfully.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 am 

You might want to check with the milk suppliers in your area regarding the type of oil used as the vitamin carrier in your milk. Sunflower seed oil can be used as the carrier for the vitamins added to milk (Vitamin A and/or D).