You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:07 pm 

Hello, everyone! I just found this place today while doing some online research for my blog, and I'm happy to have such a great opportunity to interact with and learn from such a wide variety of people.

I suffer from multiple food allergies and sensitivities, the most serious being wheat intolerance and dairy allergy. It has taken me several years to track down all of my various sensitivities (at least, I *think* I've got them all now!), and, sadly, I was too late to prevent some permanent damage in the form of arthritic joint changes.

However, this strikes me as an exciting time as far as scientific research goes-- finally, it seems there has been a breakthrough in determining the actual mechanism of the autoimmune response and so called "leaky gut" syndrome which seems to lie at the heart of reactions to food. Perhaps we will see some real progress in treatment-- perhaps even a cure?-- in the near future.

I look forward to speaking with (or at least "typing at") you all over the coming weeks and months.

http://www.wheatintolerance.org/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:43 pm 

Welcome Wheat_Intolerance!! :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:21 pm 

Thank you, BC2007!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:28 am 

Hi and welcome! I was thrust into the world of allergies when I started dating a food allergic man who I soon moved in with and later married. A few years later our youngest son was born and he has multiple food allergies, asthma, and eczema, just like his daddy.
I and my oldest three also have some allergies, but they are quite mild, very few, and none are food allergies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:05 am 

Hi, kmommy!

You're absolutely right-- allergic living seems like an entirely different world sometimes. I think the thing I hate most about it is having to ask for special consideration.

I'm a grown woman; I've had diagnosed food allergies for almost a decade, and yet I still feel like sinking through the floor whenever I have to ask for menu alterations at a restaurant, or, worse yet, send food back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:36 pm 

Many people still see allergies as a stuffy nose and watery eyes, they don't see allergies as life-threatening. I think that's one thing that frustrates me the most. Thankfully, people are much more aware about allergies these days than they were when my hubby was growing up. He was the only person that his family knew who had allergies. Our daughter has a best friend who has life-threatening allergies, plus her dad and brother do too. There are many kids in school who have allergies. I was actually quite surprised to see how many there really are!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 pm 

So true! It makes you wonder, doesn't it-- are allergies really that much more common today? Thinking back, I was the only child in my class who had allergies, and I only knew one kid outside of school who had allergies (hay fever) bad enough that it was noticeable.

Is something(s) in our environment doing this to us?